Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
05/04/24 at 00:26:38
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Avira antivirus and eccoext.exe (Popularity: 4346 )
igorok
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Avira antivirus and eccoext.exe
04/11/10 at 13:42:10

Unwilling to install eccoext.exe as long as Avira antivirus software OK'd it, I submitted it to Avira as a false-positive and they cleared it.  So, now I can start trying the wonderfulness of eccoext.  

That's the good news for Avira users.

Bad news: I discovered that the updated eccoext.exe (in the new RAR files) has somehow changed so that - again - Avira says it's malware.  

For example, I saw on the Yahoo forum new RAR files yesterday and today (4/10/10 and 4/11/10).  I don't know how Avira clears fals-positive files or how/why eccoext.exe gets updated so often, but this is a puzzling problem (for Avira users, anyway) -- especially since, (1) there are no indicators as to what the updates/changes/bug-fizes to eccoext.exe may be, (2) I have no idea how files get added to the forum (here or at Yahoo), i.e., who has control, and (3) there are no digital signatures (or hash keys) to help users know that a file is legit.

In any event, that's one man's comment. -- Igor

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: Avira antivirus and eccoext.exe
Reply #1 - 04/11/10 at 16:51:04

1. only user slangmgh posts the legit slang extension files in ecco_pro forum.    In the eccomagic, official, 100% virus free, 100% spyware free files are posted in eccotools forum.  These are certified virus free.  Note: files in user files forum are tested for virus,  but not 'certified' virus free.    

2. Avira and some other virus scanners have some known issues.  At least one EM tool is detected by some as Virus (multi-monitor fix).  It is not.  It uses virus like code to attach to ecco's dialogs,  and thus looks to a few scanners as possible virus.  

3. True to current version ( 4.5.2 series ), the core of the slang extension does not test true for Avira virus.   Only the 'injector' (which is in a sense a virus,  but a helpful one... injecting into ecco program).

4. Much (in size) of code comes from other sources,  such as LUA programming engine,  or regex engine.   Thus even if all ecco side are safe, a virus from the other sources is always a possibility.

5. suggest: use version that Avira says is clean.  When major new feature/bug fix comes (you can check the eccoext.eco file for latest changes  Smiley) then re-request from Avira for adding to exceptions list.    

6. "Slang" has been working for YEARS on the machine level code of eccoPro.   Slang has invested a HUGE amount of effort.  and is the leading (by far) expert on this planet regarding the machine code in ecco.  No one else comes close,  or even close to close.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print