Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
05/03/24 at 20:00:53
News: The Yahoo New Yahoo! Ecco_Pro forum was ended by Yahoo's end of board support... New group is at groups.io
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Memory misery (Popularity: 13410 )
rmellon
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Memory misery
04/29/10 at 09:43:19

I have been using ECCO Pro for many years.  I use it to run my business and I love it.  Well my main file got to about 28 meg and I started running into memory problems.  Mainly the Out-of ID's error message, which essentially killed the program, since everytime the error message came up and I hit "OK", it would immediately reappear.  The only way out was control-alternate-delete.  

I figured out that if I took a backup file that was not yet past the memory limit, I could disconnect the file from the Master file (I use synchronized ECCO on three machines), I could rename the file and make it a new Master file.  After reducing the file's overall size to about 5 meg.  Problem solved, right?  Wrong.  I've had to disconnect about three times in the last few months and reducing file size does very little to solve the problem.  

Now I'm getting the "Unable to complete command, low memory condition detected" whenever I add a note.  I downloaded "memory reporter and ran it with the following results:  16,597 Items, 17,547 View Lines, 17,936 Pointers and 47,591 Free.  Nothing to suggest that I'm near any memory limits.  

I'm desparate.  My business is on hold.  What do I do now?

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: Memory misery
Reply #1 - 04/29/10 at 10:29:50

read the Memory reporter thread...  

there are links also for fixing auto-date folders-- sounds like your issue.

if you look,  think you'll see that solves the problem.

28 Megs is not too big at all.

Your problem is not file size.. (you can go back to larger file, etc.).

sounds like a folder is overfilled.    Don't need to delete items either...  Just remove some assignments to overfill folder and stop auto assign & start in clean folder.  

hope this is somewhat clear.

the EM-ADT tool will also diagnose your problem (or your money back),  but I think you don't really even need that....

(as you'll see in the above referenced threads,  you just need to turn off auto-assign to a folder and turn it on for a new folder;  or if too many items in same folder,  just move some or start putting in a new, similar folder.   At Ecco_Pro forum is 50Meg example file with 40,000 items showing example of this..)

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
rmellon
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #2 - 04/29/10 at 12:46:43

Thanks for your reply.

And please, pardon my ignorance, but I'm confused.

First, I checked my folders for auto date stamp and don't ever recall ever using it.  I didn't even know it existed.  I've got about 160 folders and randomly checked for auto assign rules and the only one I found was "Net Location" which Assigned "http:#" to the folder, but only ten entries were in the folder.  Do I have to individually check all 160 folders for auto assign rules?

My largest date folders (which I believe doesn't count - correct me if i'm wrong) contains about 1500 items and the largest non-date folders have less than 600 items, based on double clicking on the file in the folder window and checking the number of items in the scratch pad.  I assume the number of items is correct.  

Where do I go from here?

IP Logged
rmellon
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 04/29/10 at 13:26:33

One thing I have noticed:  My folders set up in ECCO includes a "Projects" folder, with each individual project that I am working on being assigned to a subfolder of the "Projects" folder.  Then I have a column that displays the Projects.  It is a column is the "Project Folder" which displays the subs.  When a particular project is completed, I export the file to another ECCO file (my version of archiving) and delete the original folder.   This, presumably deletes the contents of the folder.  However, if I go to my "Due Dates" folder and double click to create a scratch pad and include the "Project" column that shows the project subfolder names, some of the deleted data is still in the file, with no project name.  Could these orphaned data be building up in some hidden or unknown file and clgging the system?

Thanks again
Rick

IP Logged
rmellon
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #4 - 04/29/10 at 14:20:04

I found the Date Stamp folder - didn't know it existed - and followed your directions and it worked.  

Thanks a million.

Rick

IP Logged
YSWT
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #5 - 04/29/10 at 15:31:47

Quote from rmellon on 04/29/10 at 12:46:43:
Thanks for your reply.

A
First, I checked my folders for auto date stamp and don't ever recall ever using it. I didn't even know it existed. I've got about 160 folders and randomly checked for auto assign rules and the only one I found was "Net Location" which Assigned "http:#" to the folder, but only ten entries were in the folder. Do I have to individually check all 160 folders for auto assign rules?

Where do I go from here?

two tools very helpful.

1. EM ADT (eccotools.com board)  will analyze and show you all you auto assign rules.  Will also tell you if any folder over-full and if too many items, etc.   Will also test for file corruption (not seem necessary in your case).

2. The slang extension will show you which folders have rules & you can them check them manually,  and will show (in most cases) how many items are in each folder-- handy.

IP Logged
YSWT
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #6 - 04/29/10 at 15:36:05

Quote from rmellon on 04/29/10 at 13:26:33:
When a particular project is completed, I export the file to another ECCO file (my version of archiving) and delete the original folder. This, presumably deletes the contents of the folder. However, if I go to my "Due Dates" folder and double click to create a scratch pad and include the "Project" column that shows the project subfolder names, some of the deleted data is still in the file, with no project name. Could these orphaned data be building up in some hidden or unknown file and clgging the system?

Thanks again
Rick

1. you have plenty of space in your file.

2. not orphans or would not show up in your notepad.

2a. Slang extension auto-catches most orphans and is good for most purposes (EM ADT will catch all orphans).

3. Might suggest the ecoomagic (classic) [eccomagic.com]  tool and to copy (or cut) with folder values and paste into archive file.

this way you can archive WITH ALL FOLDER VALUES INTACT (including auto-date, etc.)  which can be helpful.

IP Logged
YSWT
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #7 - 04/29/10 at 15:37:09

Quote from rmellon on 04/29/10 at 14:20:04:
I found the Date Stamp folder - didn't know it existed - and followed your directions and it worked.

Rick

In the old days, they would have told you to delete a bunch of items...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print