Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
04/29/24 at 20:54:02
News: Try magicHijack!, Hoist, Move, & Gather, is simply amazing!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Work-arounds for Memory Issues? (Popularity: 10929 )
metta
EccoMagic Apprentice

I love ECCO, but I
maxed it out!

Show the link to this post Work-arounds for Memory Issues?
01/10/10 at 15:26:01

After using ECCO PRO for over 11 years, I think I've finally hit a wall and maxed out the capaciity of the software.  Initially, I began receiving insufficieint ID warnings, and then the warnings changed to insuffucient memory.  When deleting a batch of newly created folders and trying to move the data into brand new ECCO files did not fix the problem, I did a quick search online and found this forum, and now I've begun troubleshooting the issue.

Step #1: I replaced the 'default.ect' file in my ecco32.exe program directory according to the directions provided here:
http://forums.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1194752017

Step #2: I download the Memory Reporter software provided here:
http://forums.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1166763739

....and I've included my Memory Report Numbers below:
` 64,770 Items
` 28,271 View Lines
` 11,564 Pointers
` 757 Free

Questions
(1) From these MR numbers, is it safe to assume this is a memory/capacity issue rather than a problem with a corrupt file?

(2) Should I run the EM Advanced Diagnostics tool just in case there might also be a problem with the file itself?
` EM*AD Download: http://forums.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1209127377
` EM*AD Notes: http://forums.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1218986971/0
` EM*AD Help for Memory Issues: http://forums.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1240861183

(FYI, I'll probably run EM*AD anyway now, just to be on the safe side.)

If it turns out this is "simply" a memory/capacity issue, I understand from reviewing the Memory Reporter notes there are several things I can do in the future to store my data more efficiently in ECCO....for example, using:
--> EccoMagic to create blocks of text for items that are now listed as separate/individual line items:
http://forums.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1166633545
--> MagicView to create numbered lists:
http://forums.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1240587682

(3) However, I'm wondering: Is there anything I can do in the meantime with the existing content in the monstrous file I've already created?

Specifically, I'm wondering if anyone has any hints and tips on solving this capacity issue short of beginning the painstaking task of either:
--> separating the monster file into several smaller ECCO files,
--> reformatting lists into blocks of text (or numbered lists), and/or
--> deleting a significant percentage of the older content?

I absolutely dread the monumental task of cleaning out and reformatting all the deeply imbedded old content in this file, and I'm hoping some more experienced users may have a little wisdom (or a few work-arounds) that might help.....

With concern and crossed fingers,
Metta

WWW   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: Work-arounds for Memory Issues?
Reply #1 - 01/10/10 at 16:28:36

1. WELCOME!

2. just to note step 1 helps with new,  not existing files.

3. 64,770 Items   is your issue.  You're at the end of item space!

many easy solutions.

#1  eccomagic classic tool  (eccomagic.com  also in eccotools.com board)  will copy/cut items WITH ALL FOLDER VALUES so you can simply paste them into another archive file without *any* info loss.

#2 you can copy hundreds (even thousands) of items into a magicview page (see magicview thread in eccotools board)  and  archive them that way.  (once in MV page,  delete the items from file).   note: this does not save folder values for archived items.

#3 you can combine shorter items into larger 'archive' items using the eccomagic classic tool. (copy and paste as new item with 'soft' returns).

all these tools have pretty lengthy trials so you can fix your file freely.

Answers:

1.  Yes,  would for sure expect to be an item count issue.   File may or may not be corrupted but would deal first just with item count,  you've reached the limit of ecco items,  essentially.

2. Would fix item count FIRST,  that should solve your issues.  Then add some great tutorials to help others with your extensive ecco knowledge,  and get a helpware EM-ADT (you'll like it).  Then test copy of your file for corruption.

3. Your super clear and organized questions casts this quick answer to you as almost inadequate!   You can use either tool to reduce your items.  Both approaches allow full searching but reduce line count.

with the eccomagic classic tool,  you just copy those items you want to 'archive'  and then paste into new item with control + Shift + v  and presto!  you've turned many items into 1.  (you can get about 30,000 characters into any single item this way,  it only takes up 1 item pointer).

similarly,  with the magicview extension  you can mark one or more items,  use Winkey + Control + C  and copy directly those items into the active magicview page.  There is no limit as to the size or number of ecco items you archive this way.  

3.  Would not suggest deleting older content.  At minimum, use the eccomagic tool to cut & paste (with folder values) into archive file.  That way you don't lose anything.

reformatting older outline subparts into large single item blocks  or placing them in a MV pane are typical resolutions to issue.

PERSONAL SUGGESTION/TIP:

IF YOU HAVE FORMATTED DATA (BOLD,COLORS, UNDERLINE, ETC.)  IT IS BEST TO USE THE SLANG EXTENSION WHEN COPYING ITEMS INTO MAGICVEW.

would use a COPY of your file when doing this.  (you can open a MV page in one file,  then open another file and copy from the second file into the MV page of the first).

by using the Slang extension,  you can clip to MV all of the outline structure, formatting, etc.  it is nice.

hope clear to helpful.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
metta
EccoMagic Apprentice

I love ECCO, but I
maxed it out!

Show the link to this post Thank you so much!
Reply #2 - 01/10/10 at 18:12:22

Thank you so much for your ultra-prompt, systematic and helpful reply!  Your feedback is extremely encouraging, and it looks like the EccoMagic*Classic may be exactly what I need.
 Smiley

However, before beginning to use the software, I wanted to review a few initial questions with you.

(1) May I assume the "Undo" command will work on all EM commands?

(2) Once several line items have been combined using EM into 1 block (item), later on is it possible to pick up all the combined data and drop it back into a standard ECCO format, with all of the original line items displaying separately?  In other words, I'm just curious if the EM commands can eventually be reversed at a later date.  

Thanks also for your kind offer to "earn" a copy of the EM*Advanced Diagnostics Toolkit by providing a few tutorials in the forum.  I'd love to take advantage of your offer, but I'm afraid I've not begun to maximize the full potential of ECCO.  I'm just crazy about the outline and notetab function, and use it almost exclusively.  

However, if my schedule will allow me to provide any help and support to others, I'll be glad to do what I can!

And, once I try out your great software and extensions, it may give me some ideas of things I might be able to share!
 Cheesy

With grateful appreciation,
Metta

WWW   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 01/10/10 at 19:20:10

Great questions.

1. As a general matter yes.  

2. Yes, but remember folder values are not retained.

3. You've got YEARS of experience with ecco and outlining structures, etc.  You'd be amazed how helpful what you can share would be to others..

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
metta
EccoMagic Apprentice

I love ECCO, but I
maxed it out!

Reply #4 - 01/10/10 at 20:11:31

(1) Thanks for confirming.

(2) Should I assume, then, that cutting and pasting with folder values only preserves the values for the sake of formatting the initial paste -- and after that they are lost forever?

(3) Thank you, again, for your positive feedback.  You are very generous.....As I think about it, perhaps I could share an outline template or two that has been helpful to me?  If so, once I get this troubleshooting issue behind me, I'll see what I can do!  
 Wink

With grateful appreciation,
Metta

WWW   IP Logged
craig.howard
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #5 - 01/11/10 at 13:55:39

thanks for the help. I found this forum really helpful for troubleshooting ecco Wink

Email   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #6 - 01/12/10 at 20:07:53

Quote from metta on 01/10/10 at 20:11:31:

(2) Should I assume, then, that cutting and pasting with folder values only preserves the values for the sake of formatting the initial paste -- and after that they are lost forever?

the eccomagic (classic) tool's copy/cut & paste WITH FOLDER VALUES preserves all of the folder values for the items copied. (as well as saving related info such as alarms, repeating dates, date exceptions, etc.).  The pasted items should be *exact* copies in all respects of the original.  Thus no data is lost at all.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print