Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
04/29/24 at 22:39:10
News: If you outline, checkout the new outlineZOOM extension. Amazing stuff to instantly bring your ideas into focus.
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How do I fix my corrupt Ecco file? (Popularity: 31587 )
rb

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post How do I fix my corrupt Ecco file?
01/07/10 at 04:15:57

When I run standard (F5) analysis using EM-ADT (v. 1.78B) on my Ecco file, I get a message in the Status Bar: Application Error has occurred. Please restart Ecco.
Subsequent Deep analysis results in PASSED! I realize that this is incorrect; EM-ADT can not perform the deep analysis on a file corrupted in this way (e.g. one that gives the error during standard analysis).

Thus, I ran the recovery of the file, using EM-ADT, and the recover was "successful" per EM-ADT.

However, running standard analysis (F5) on the recovered file again shows the "Application Error has occurred. Please restart Ecco."
Thus, contrary to the EM-ADT message, the file was not repaired/ recovered.

What now?

p.s. There was a previous reference to the EM Classic Tool. What is this? Where do I get it, and how do I use it [with EM-ADT?] for recovery?

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: How do I fix my corrupt Ecco file?
Reply #1 - 01/07/10 at 17:23:12

1. EM Classic tool (eccomagic.com)  helps when corruption caught too late for EM-ADT to repair.   (if you would have used period test with EM-ADT on copy of file,  would have caught corruption before became embedded in file structure).

A> use EM ADT to extract all rules. (may not be possible for you in very corrupted state)

B> can use special EM Classic copy to copy folder structure,

C> then paste into new file folder view

D> manually need to adjust folder types, special properties, and insert (cut and
paste) folder rules.

E> Manually reconstruct views.

F> then use EM classic tool to move view by view bulk items.  retains item RTF formatting, etc.

2. Let's see if we can figure what is causing the error.  So,  make some copies of the file.  Then try:

0> Close all your views.  (does not delete any data, and is easy place to start).

A> Delete all the folders you can.   Now can you run ADT ?   (if yes,  delete less folders, try again.. until isolate the crashing folder).  

B> Delete all your items.  Now can run ADT ?  (if yes delete less items, try again... until isolate the problematic items).

C> ie., see if possible to isolate what in file is stopping ADT from being able to perform basic functions.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
rb

I Love Ecco!

Reply #2 - 01/08/10 at 19:21:07

A> use EM ADT to extract all rules. (may not be possible for you in very corrupted state)
OK. I will try that last

B> can use special EM Classic copy to copy folder structure,
C> then paste into new file folder view
I didn't need EMC for this, I just used Ecco (w. EE): Ctrl-c ; Ctrl-v

D> manually need to adjust folder types, special properties, and insert (cut and
paste) folder rules.
Need an answer to F first

F> then use EM classic tool to move view by view bulk items.  retains item RTF formatting, etc.
How would I copy all items from one Ecco file to the other while retaining their linking (Parent-child) and Folder values???

2. Let's see if we can figure what is causing the error.  So,  make some copies of the file.  Then try:

0> Close all your views.  (does not delete any data, and is easy place to start).
A> Delete all the folders you can.   Now can you run ADT ?   (if yes,  delete less folders, try again.. until isolate the crashing folder).  
B> Delete all your items.  Now can run ADT ?  (if yes delete less items, try again... until isolate the problematic items).
C> ie., see if possible to isolate what in file is stopping ADT from being able to perform basic functions.

I did 0-B in the file that was posted in the Yahoo forum (TestLUAError3_corrupt_file.eco), although some data remained "hidden". As you know, if you tested it, I still got the application error running F5. Still no clue where the bad data is. If it is not "visible", it can not be fixed through regular means (such as deleting data, folders etc).

« Last Edit: 01/09/10 at 03:58:11 by rb »  
  IP Logged
rb

I Love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 01/09/10 at 04:21:28

Just ran another test:

1. I deleted all the views, data and folders (that could be deleted from a copy my original file).  
2. This file was previously posted as TestLUAError3_corrupt_file.eco i the Yahoo forum, and I believe that you downloaded it.
3. When I run the EM-ADT analyis on this file, I still got the application errors in Ecco.

4. I then tried to recover this "deleted" file (File/Database/Recover)
5. Interestingly, the recovered file did not have the Application errors when running the EM-ADT analysis.
(In contrast, the original file could not be recovered; It still showed Application Errors on F5 after recovery)

I am not sure how to use this information though.... Apparently one or more of the items or folders in the original file made it impossible to repair/recover the file. If I somehow could figure out what it is, I could remove it, recover the file and then ad back the item(s) or folder(s)..
It would be a lot of work to try to delete various folders & items and keep retrying, as I have hundreds of folders and roughly 10-100,000 items..

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #4 - 01/09/10 at 16:00:59

Quote from rb on 01/08/10 at 19:21:07:

F> then use EM classic tool to move view by view bulk items. retains item RTF formatting, etc.
How would I copy all items from one Ecco file to the other while retaining their linking (Parent-child) and Folder values???

use the eccomagic.com  'classic' tool.  Alt + Control + C  to copy,   Ctrl + V to paste.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #5 - 01/09/10 at 16:03:28

Quote from rb on 01/09/10 at 04:21:28:
Just ran another test:

(In contrast, the original file could not be recovered; It still showed Application Errors on F5 after recovery)

It would be a lot of work to try to delete various folders & items and keep retrying, as I have hundreds of folders and roughly 10-100,000 items..

I will look at your file if helpful to you.

also,  not seem possible to have 100,000 items as 65k max is possible.

what do your EM Memory reporter numbers look like ??

in slang,  what is the highest count you have for any folder ??

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
rb

I Love Ecco!

Reply #6 - 01/09/10 at 20:10:59

I will look at your file if helpful to you.
Thank you. However, the original file contains a lot of confidential info. Would it help to look at the one where the data was deleted (TestLUAError3_corrupt_file.eco; it still have the application errors)

also,  not seem possible to have 100,000 items as 65k max is possible.
OK. 10-65k then Wink

what do your EM Memory reporter numbers look like ??
34,426 Items / 21739 View Lines /18,046 pointers (31,101 free)

in slang,  what is the highest count you have for any folder ??
Top level Ecco Folders= 0/126,195 (I guess this means 126,195 total folder values?)
Largest Individual folder= 8,436 items

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #7 - 01/09/10 at 23:30:18

well you've got 34,426 items.

you have 2 items per text folder value (or so).

WHAT FOLDER TYPE HAS THE 8000+ items ???

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
rb

I Love Ecco!

Reply #8 - 01/10/10 at 03:59:29

Quote from Admin on 01/09/10 at 23:30:18:

WHAT FOLDER TYPE HAS THE 8000+ items ???

Date Folder

IP Logged
rb

I Love Ecco!

Reply #9 - 01/10/10 at 15:09:02

This is a response to a post in the Yahoo forum.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ecco_pro/message/6644

> You have an old file that is not corrupted ?  Yes as I understand it. depending on level of corruption in newer file,  it may be able to sync the two files,  updating old with changes made to new.

How do I synch two independent Ecco files?

> it may be able also to remove the corruption if we can isolate it.
TAKE A COPY OF YOUR NON-CORRUPT FILE.  PLAY WITH THE SLANG EXTENSION DRAGGING & DROPPING SUB ITEMS,  CONTEXT FREE,  APPLY YOUR RULES, ETC. CAN YOU GET YOUR OLD FILE TO CORRUPT THIS WAY ??
IF YOU CAN FIGURE OUT WHAT CAUSED CORRUPTION,  MAY BE SIMPLE TO FIX FOR YOU.

I have not been able to  Sad

> other than that, delete groups of folders at a time and retest with EMADT until you find folder/folders which are causing the errors on F5 file analysis. that is not really so difficult to do.

After I have deleted all data and folders that could be deleted, I still get the error on F5. (However, as explained above, the deleted file can be recovered using Ecco).  Can you figure out what is wrong with the real file based on the corruption in the deleted file?

> your deleted version is clearly folded into itself.  What are the memory allocations vs. file size with that version ?
>  
That is the same file as you downloaded:  
Memory allocation is 649,832 while size on disk is 2,263,650. That is 1,613,818 "extra" bytes and similar to the difference in the non-deleted file (1,499,898 bytes). Maybe the data that can not be deleted is what causes the corruption. If so, how could I delete this data in the “real” file?

> you can try to use slang regex replace to replace all [a-zA-Z0-9] to X.
>  
 Sorry for my poor RegEx. What would the complete expression be for this?
>  

> you just use standard export and import.  is very simple.  does not transfer some data such as recurring dates, alarms, etc.  just specify all folders

How? The export dialog only exports everything in a Notepad. There is no way to simply export all the items in a file.

We really need a utility for easy and complete export/import of data between Ecco files….

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #10 - 01/10/10 at 16:59:13

Quote from rb on 01/10/10 at 15:09:02:

How do I synch two independent Ecco files?

they are the same file, different versions,  so item numbers from old same as new.

In most cases we can sync them together, and use one to update the other.  

Quote:

Can you figure out what is wrong with the real file based on the corruption in the deleted file?[/color]

sorry,  nope. Quote:

That is the same file as you downloaded:
Memory allocation is 649,832 while size on disk is 2,263,650. That is 1,613,818 "extra" bytes and similar to the difference in the non-deleted file (1,499,898 bytes). Maybe the data that can not be deleted is what causes the corruption. If so, how could I delete this data in the “real” file?

well,  you had me analyze a file which is about 400% larger than it should be,  and then question if the file is corrupted ?

Quote:

> you can try to use slang regex replace to replace all [a-zA-Z0-9] to X.
>
Sorry for my poor RegEx. What would the complete expression be for this?
>

that was a full expression [a-zA-Z0-9]

Quote:

We really need a utility for easy and complete export/import of data between Ecco files….

not possible as cannot insert rules,  nor filters,  nor manipulate column properties, etc...

on non-corrupt the copy view does pretty good.

the ecomagic classic tool works nice for copying items, item formatting & depenencies, values, etc..

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
rb

I Love Ecco!

Reply #11 - 01/10/10 at 20:28:45

I am sorry, but I still do not understand how to sync the two files.  

I know how to keep files synchronized if I am working with a synchronized copy that generates a change file.
However, this is not the case here.

Can you please explain step-by-step, or point me to some resource?  

p.s. I will post this in the Yahoo forum as well, as it would be of great interest to learn how to do this.

« Last Edit: 01/11/10 at 14:51:52 by rb »  
  IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #12 - 01/11/10 at 14:03:53

Quote from rb on 01/10/10 at 20:28:45:
I am sorry, but I still do not understand how to sync the two files.

I know how to keep files synchronized if I am working with a synchronized copy that generates a change file.
However, this is not the case here.

Can you please explain step-by-step, or point me to some recourse?

The pointer base is same.  You can use the DDE interface to request changes to new file since creation date of old and then apply those changes directly to the older file.

I have a 'private' tool which does this.  If sufficient demand,  could release as 'public' tool.   Not seem worth the investment as very few request this.  On occasion will be important for some unique circumstance and have done the update on an 'per order' basis.

hope clear to helpful.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
rb

I Love Ecco!

Reply #13 - 01/11/10 at 14:50:38

It is worth a shot... Can I try it?

In this case, I would use the original uncorrupted file as a "base" and import the changes from the new file.

However, as an alternative, couldn't I also then just use a new "empty" file as the base instead.....?

IP Logged
rb

I Love Ecco!

Reply #14 - 01/14/10 at 13:48:04

I have spent more than 20 hrs trying to figure out what is wrong with my more
than 15 year old Ecco file w/o being able to recover it.

It is corrupt according to EM-ADT because when I run standard analysis (F5),
Ecco gives me application errors.

I found that if I delete several items, recover the file and then run EM-ADT
again, the application errors are gone (and also PASS destructive analysis - trying twice).
Interestingly, it does not seem to matter exactly which items I delete, but I need to delete enough to be able to
recover the file.

I used EM-Classic to add back ~10% of the items that were deleted, but after
that the file gave application errors again when running EM-ADT standard
analysis (F5).

Running EM-ADT before and after adding the back the 10% showed no problems with
the amount of items in any Folder (largest Date Folder still has 6,056 items
free).

Memory reporter also showed no problems,
e.g. 34,426 Items / 21739 View Lines /18,046 pointers (31,101 free)
For the original (undeleted file).

I wonder if I have encountered some other kind of limitation???

Alternatively, maybe there is a problem with EM-ADT
resulting in the Ecco application errors when running on a very "large" file?

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #15 - 01/14/10 at 17:00:54

1. if you delete items and not recover,  does EM-ADT run ?  (with shift F5 any different ?)

2. create a clean file.  make some items.  copy multi times as sub. copy multii times etc.  you can quickly fill in a new file.  Test with EMADT.  Work good ?

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
rb

I Love Ecco!

Reply #16 - 01/14/10 at 17:54:59

Quote from Admin on 01/14/10 at 17:00:54:

1. if you delete items and not recover,  does EM-ADT run ?  (with shift F5 any different ?)

Yes, it runs as posted above. However, I need to run recovery to avoid the Application errors with F5.

Quote from Admin on 01/14/10 at 17:00:54:

2. create a clean file.  make some items.  copy multi times as sub. copy multii times etc.  you can quickly fill in a new file.  Test with EMADT.  Work good ?  

A. I created a new Ecco file (based on your template)
B. I duplicated several items over and over and scattered them in some different folders.
C. EM MEM Reporter: 37,714 Items*/ 5744 View Lines / 216 pointers
(What does the * mean?)
D. Run EM-ADT (F5) => Application Error in Ecco!!??

Thus, there appears to be something wrong with EM-ADT  undecided?  
I have attached the dummy file.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #17 - 01/14/10 at 23:47:44

1. Well there is something wrong with the ecco file other than a corruption issue that the Tool is not picking up on.

2. "*" indicates the pointer to which the free space information applies.

One possibility is a defect in the default.ect template.   Which updated template was used to create ?

If you do same thing with raw (shift + new)  file...  do we get same result ? [ie., to see if problem is in default.ect]

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
rb

I Love Ecco!

Reply #18 - 01/15/10 at 01:07:40

Quote from Admin on 01/14/10 at 23:47:44:

1. Well there is something wrong with the ecco file other than a corruption issue that the Tool is not picking up on.

2. "*" indicates the pointer to which the free space information applies.

One possibility is a defect in the default.ect template.   Which updated template was used to create ?

If you do same thing with raw (shift + new)  file...  do we get same result ? [ie., to see if problem is in default.ect]

I do not remember where I downloaded the default.eco file from. Probably from here (simple 1 directory install for USB), see attached.

I am a bit confused in how our results differ, if at all? Could you please answer my Yahoo post? John Smith now confirmed that he also gets the application errors with F5 on the uploaded file (Many_junk_items.eco).

I have not tried, shift+new. It is is not very useful to keep trying new things if our results on the same file differs.
« Last Edit: 01/15/10 at 03:13:24 by rb »  
  IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #19 - 01/15/10 at 06:54:29

try the shift new.  It will tell us much.

There could be a problem with the default.ect  

if you don't have problems with a clean shift+new  file...  we have located the source of the issue.

try Shift + F5  for test.   does that work for you ?

Remember,   EM-ADT  destructive test is testing for corruption.   Corruption will cause data loss.  There can be other non-corruption issues with file but will not result in data loss.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print