Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
04/26/24 at 03:15:00
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
EccoPro Install - How do I get out of this mess? (Popularity: 9889 )
rcdavis
Contributing  Member

This is a great site
to take Ecco into
the Future!

Show the link to this post EccoPro Install - How do I get out of this mess?
08/09/10 at 01:39:28

Installing on a new computer, I happened to come across the "infected" version of Ecco for Windows 7 64 bit.  It didn't work, and I found this forum.  It appears to be light years beyond the Yahoo forum I have been on, in that you have software that runs on Windows 7.

Unfortunately, I opened the program from where I download files, instead of Program Files, which works for most programs, but not this one.  I have tried cleaning out all remnants with Revo Uninstaller, but when I reinstalled to the permanent location in Program Files (x86) on 64 bit Windows 7, I got an error message saying that "text wasn't recognized", and I could see a file path on the bottom of the screen pointing to the file where I store all of my downloaded programs, where I made the initial install.  It just isn't the best place to run a program from.  So I have taken a program that appears to be as easy as pie to install, and I have screwed it up.  I am taking up 30 gig of space on a Windows Virtualized partition that I use to run Ecco, and I am ready to get it on Windows 7 and use some modernized software;

Can anyone tell me how I can get out of this mess?  It appears that I need to somehow get Ecco completely out of that old directory for downloads, and who knows what kind of damage I have done by running the registry string from new Program Files location.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I am truly amazed at all the cool software I have found here.  I feel like I have spent years in the desert, only to find I was in the wrong desert.  I have a lot to learn about.  I have been using Ecco since 1995, and it contains my entire life.

Richard

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: EccoPro Install - How do I get out of this mess?
Reply #1 - 08/11/10 at 06:22:59

relax,  slow down,  and be calm.

you haven't done 'damage' most likely.

You are running win7 x 64.

What version of Win 7 ?

Have you tried to create a sub folder of the x86 program files and copy the single dir ecco to that directory and run it ?

and, actually,  have you tried to run the original ecco setup32.exe from that directory ?

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
rcdavis
Contributing  Member

This is a great site
to take Ecco into
the Future!

Reply #2 - 08/26/10 at 06:27:46

I am sorry for the late reply.  I just returned from the Mayo Clinic, where I had my wife examined.  
I got way behind in email. When your life is on Ecco, this is a pretty high priority also.

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, which has allowed my computer to run at speeds I only could dream about before (8GB of memory, SSD, i7 processor) but I have had to run Ecco using the old version of Ecco in Windows XP Mode (virtualized XP) until I can get Ecco transferred over.  

I haven't tried either using a subfolder of my 2nd install, or tried my old 32 bit software to see if it will work on Windows 7t.  After seeing how the memory of the first install location doesn't seem to want to go away, I have honestly been afraid to do any more experimental installs, and possibly make things worse.  I am humbled, and need some good advice.  I am pretty proficient around computers, but this has me stumped.

What do you think should be my next step?  Try the subfolder in the Programs folder, or try the old software?  

One question that has been a concern is what happens with the CFX and the ALM files if they comes out of the Windows folder.  Do they stay intact, so they could be put back on a 32 bit XP system?  Or is this the beginning of a voyage where you cast away the lifeline, and switch forever from the old software to the new software, because the CFX and ALM files no longer work?  That is something that I knew would come someday, but you hate to say goodbye to the software that took you this far.  I can remember using this software at least since 1995, and it has had the complete details of every business venture or hobby, and every trip that I ever took  It has never failed me (thanks to some good backups).

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that you have.  If I want to have a great computer, getting Ecco switched over is something that I need to do.  Having Ecco on a virtual XP partition gets you by, but not having your planner in front of you, and having to switch over to the other OS, is a bit of a hassle.

I look forward to working with you to get this thing resolved.  Being able to survive a bad install is one of the things that you look for in good software.

THANKS!

Richard

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 08/30/10 at 16:06:21

.alm file will auto-reconstruct.  You can delete and auto rebuild simply by loading files with alarms.

the cfx file can always be manually rebuilt.  It just has settings.  However, you can always copy an 'old' or backup version and overwrite a 'new' version, to restore all .cfx settings.

would try normal install, and see result.

next would try subfolder install, change name of ecco32.exe  to eccB32.exe and run that...

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
rcdavis
Contributing  Member

This is a great site
to take Ecco into
the Future!

Reply #4 - 08/30/10 at 20:51:36

Thank you for your suggestions.  I will give them a try and report back.

Cross by fingers.....

Thanks!

Richard

IP Logged
rcdavis
Contributing  Member

This is a great site
to take Ecco into
the Future!

Reply #5 - 09/01/10 at 10:49:33

I tried you first suggestion, to simply install Ecco in the normal way in the Ecco folder in Programs x86, and it installed right away, although the toolbars were gone.  It was fairly simple to create the new tool bar, not as time consuming as I thought. I have no idea where the new CFX file is that I am creating.  Any ideas?

When my toolbars didn't come up as described above, I tried your second suggestion, to install Ecco in a sub-directory, but I got an unpleasant message that the current version of Ecco was not compatible with my current OS, that Ecco is 32 bit, not 64 bit, something like that.  That's when I went back to  the first install and recreated the toolbars.

So, in conclusion, I must say, YEA!  Everything looks fine!  My alarms were imported just fine, as were my folders.  I don't see any problems, although I would like to find that new CFX file just so I can back it up.

I will know in a few days if everything is a complete success, but it sure looks that way.

Thank you so very much for your help.  This whole process was really pretty easy.  All I had to do was install it in the recommended location in the first place.  I had a long wait to be sure I was proceeding correctly, but it was really very simple.

Thanks again!

Richard Cheesy

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #6 - 09/02/10 at 20:15:12

yep.

try EM Vista CFX Finder (Beginner toolbar fix help Tool)   ( http://forums.eccoMAGIC.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1230585897/0#0 ).

to find the CFX folder in Vista/Win7 .......

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print