Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
05/01/24 at 19:44:34
News: Try magicHijack!, Hoist, Move, & Gather, is simply amazing!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to move NetSnippets pages into EccoMV (Popularity: 2715 )
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post How to move NetSnippets pages into EccoMV
02/01/09 at 13:36:34

From ecco_pro Yahoo! forum Quote:

finally got around to moving my old NetSnippet clips into EccoMV, and gained some amazing insight into how the outline program (Ecco) impacts on the outline itself.

first, technical of what I did,
and then, shared thoughts about insights.

1. Latest (3.62 or greater) MV release has new tools to make transfer of Netsnippets clips easy, plus has FIX for compressing files where huge amount of MV notepages are stored to disk. (ie. DOWNLOAD LATEST MV VERSION-- has bug fix important for those storing many pages on disk)

essentially, I took these steps:

first I turned on Files > Data Location > Force Disk Storage.

also,

made sure File > Folder Options > Ground Local Files was checked.

then,

for each Folder on my drive that NetSnippets set up (per the 'outline' I made with NetSnippets), I manually entered an Ecco item called the same thing.

I then Winkey+? the item to make that item ( a blank viewpage attached to that item, actually-- since it is a new ecco item with some text), the active MV page.

Then mark, and drag & drop (all together) all of the HTM (or html) files in the particular NetSnippet folder. Drag them to the Item Text: edit box in MV, and bim bam boom... the netsnippet pages loaded directly to EccoMV.

I then Winkey + > 'd thru the added items and any with graphics that I wanted to save in local Ecco.web folder, pressed Alt+G to "ground" the page.

occasionally pressed Ctrl+S inside Ecco just to be safe.

(result seems great, file is about 25 Megs with another 100 Megs of data on disk [not including graphic file size], most pages choose to store to disk [Netsnippets had them there already, so kept that approach], file is fluid, about 7,000 'items' w/ room for about 20,000 more.)

2. One thing became very clear-- There is a reason the Netsnippets became useless and abandoned. The lack of ease of use of the Netsnippet 'outline' structure caused (even though sure did not intend it, and was not really aware of it until now) a very VERTICAL outline structure. Things that should have been sub and sub sub sub items, ended up being new 'TLI' items in the outline. It was/is a MESS!!

Still have a lot to re-organize, but moving around in Ecco, is a breeze compared to the Netsnippets tree-view type outline.

(the magicHijack tool is super helpful for me here, I can mark items and them just move them, or even mark a place and 'throw' items to it, it's pretty nice).

being able to quickly open/close sections/subsections of the outline, instant movement/insertion, a wide space allowing for sub sub sub items, is a lot of little things, but makes a HUGE difference in how my outline looks.

Ie. same data ends up in a DIFFERENT SHAPE OF OUTLINE because the outline tools are much more fluid.

outlining involves THOUGHT, parsing out the connections between items, and even the meaning of items, or where they fit in within the big picture.

To be able to do that with a large (or not small) outline, requires ability to quickly, fluidly move about, and collapse/expand, VISUALLY ORGANIZE the outline.

This is what makes Ecco such magic.

What was a huge vertical list of unmanagable subjects, became a much shorter list of key areas, broken into easy to handle, discreet sub-topics and sub-sub topics.

That the pages show up much faster than in NetSnippets, or that unlike Netsnippets the viewpage is a live, directly editable page just like ecco, is also an added bonus.

(being able to instantly encrypt pages, also nice).

BUT WHAT IS SO INCREDIBLE IS THAT *ECCO* HAS GIVEN ME BACK OWNERSHIP OF MY INFO.

Here's the stuff about this, over here is stuff about this. It's not overwhelming, and it is accessible.

When I first started using Netsnippets I fell in love with it. My outline was small, so all the info fit into a single 'brain slice'. But as used it more, suddenly didn't have the info at my fingertips. No longer had the 'feel' for what info I had, or where it was.

With Ecco, being able to easily move & organize suddenly all the info once again 'fits' into my brain slice. Complex connections are 'folded' into proper / logical place in greater picture. It all fits together. (It always did, it just wasn't ORGANIZED that way).

and guess, maybe a key point is that need more than just 'basic' tree-view to actually organize a large outline of info. Need an outliner.... which is why maybe, Ecco so very much empowers.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print