Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
04/30/24 at 14:09:49
News: If you outline, checkout the new outlineZOOM extension. Amazing stuff to instantly bring your ideas into focus.
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Synchronizing XP and Vista (Popularity: 21598 )
Rickw
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Synchronizing XP and Vista
07/14/08 at 08:23:43

I have XP on my work desktop and Vista on my new laptop. ECCO successfully installed in Vista. There are two problems, though. First, I can synchronize from Vista to XP, but when I try to go from XP to Vista, I get the message that says merge contents are invalid (the one you get when you accidentally try to synchronize back to the same computer the data that came from that computer). Second, the program won't close the normal way. I have to use the Task Manager.

Does anyone have any suggestions for remedying these problems? If I can't fix them (at least the first one), I'll have to install the program to a flash drive and run it from there on both computers.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: Synchronizing XP and Vista
Reply #1 - 07/14/08 at 17:01:01

ok,

let's try some simple debug.

1. can you export & import data to/from ecco on the laptop ?

2. Where was the 'master' created... and how did you move copy to other machine ?  (ie. exact steps you took)

3. how specifically are you trying to do the sync ?

ps: have you tried the single directory install version of ecco on the vista machine ?

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Rickw
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #2 - 07/14/08 at 23:14:44

I can export from laptop with Vista to desktop wth XP. But when I try to import from XP into Vista, I get the message that it's unable to perform that operation.

The program was installed on the XP, a replica was made called something like laptop.eco, and transferred via flashdrive to the Vista unit.  

To do the sync, I click Export on the XP (master) ECCO and save the change file to the flashdrive, transfer the drive to the Vista unit and click Import.  

I don't think there's anything wrong with my procedure. I've done this easily a dozen times over the years, starting when ECCO was setup from a small handful of floppies.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 07/15/08 at 09:05:51

if you move the .ecos'  .ecg and .ecb files to the flash,

can you connect directly to the ecg on Vista ?

[exit ecco and restart before opening local vista .eco to do attach.. don't work offline,  browse for master file & connect to the flash drive's .ecb]

ps: install the single directory ecco version somewhere in vista, also and see if any different result.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Rickw
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #4 - 07/15/08 at 14:00:35

There are no .ecg and .ecb files.  

I put the main.eco file from the XP desktop onto my flash drive, plugged it into the Vista laptop and clicked on it. Vista asked me what program to use (and suggested ECCO). I clicked on it and it opened. Then I made a change in the calendar and closed ECCO. I then moved the drive back to my XP desktop and clicked on main.eco on the drive again. The program opened and showed the change I had made in the calendar. I suppose I could simply set a link to the main.eco on the flash drive on both computers, which means I have to have the flash drive connected to run the program. But that would be better than nothing.

What is the single directory ecco version?

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #5 - 07/15/08 at 19:09:56

unless am being particularly forgetful (and it does happen sometimes),  expect you'll find there is always a .ecg when you have syncing.  (ecb also when objects in syncing file).

you can try this by creating file in empty directory, then create a sync of it.   modify something in the file and look at the directory.

the .ecg file keeps all the changes so syncing can occur.

keeping, for example,  the .ecg on usb key and NOT on any machine,  allows each machine to 'sync live' to the master file (when the usb key is on that machine),  and to cache changes otherwise.

you never need to 'import' or export changes this way.

in the old days when size of floppy transfer was limited,  or when syncing via email, etc.,   using ecg not an option and normal sync is best.

you should get familiar with the online and offline options  (File > Properties)  and NEVER CONFUSE the "Disconnect" which ends the sync connection (which you don't want).

(if sig. requests for it,  a special tool to right click disconnect/connect tool possible.... but not sure is necessary)

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #6 - 07/15/08 at 19:16:21

Quote from Rickw on 07/15/08 at 14:00:35:

What is the single directory ecco version?

check out (generally) http://forums.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1193816898

and (specifically)  http://forums.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1193820851

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Rickw
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #7 - 07/15/08 at 19:18:02

Okay. I didn't realize I had to go through the sync process first.  

Once I do that and I put the .ecg file on the flash drive, so I use the import function targeting that file? (And export the same?) It usually creates a change.emf file.  

Thanks for all your help.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #8 - 07/15/08 at 19:37:42

ok,  let's slow down.

when you CREATE a sync copy (the first one),  a 'master'  ecg file is created.

when you open a file for the first time,  it looks for that ecg file.  if it does not find it, it caches changes,  and can send a 'report' of its changes to the master file.   When any file that *is* connected to the master file "onLine"  'imports' the changes,  the master file is updated.

so....

if you move the master file back and forth between machines on a usb key,  YOU NEVER HAVE TO IMPORT OR EXPORT... you are *ALWAYS* in sync.

just note:

if you want to take away the master file and work on the local .eco file,  be sure to take the file OFFLINE  (File > Properties [lower LEFT hand corner "Work OFFILNE")   to get back online,  same place,  but button will say "Work ONline")

clearer ?

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Rickw
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #9 - 07/18/08 at 07:43:05

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've had other issues with this computer to worry with.

For now I'm keeping the main.eco file on my flash drive and moving it from one computer to the other. That's working okay; I just wish I didn't have to have the flash drive plugged in to use the calendar. Maybe later, when more pressing issues ease up, I'll get back on this. Thanks again for your help.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #10 - 07/18/08 at 10:58:12

in addition to the above suggests,

you can also save a network file to the usb  and use 'remote' with 'private' info allowed.

ie. use network file with local cached.

With systems set up (best most likely ecco only messaging,  create a workgroup on the UBS [freeware tool helps with this,  see eccotools.com [perhaps on second page of board]]) and share the file to the USB.   Then open shared with a local copy and you're set.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #11 - 07/18/08 at 15:38:07

See This Thread for discussion of Offline/Online.

« Last Edit: 07/19/08 at 15:17:40 by Admin »  

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Rickw
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #12 - 07/21/08 at 22:50:20

Okay. I think I'm putting the pieces together finally. Two questions: If I put the ecb and ecg files on the flash drive, which one do I link the local eco file to (the eco I create in the sync process)? And, if I work offline on one of the computers when the flash drive (with ecb and ecg files) is not attached, how do I then go online when I do connect the flash drive so as to update the master file?  

Thanks again.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #13 - 07/22/08 at 03:38:50

You're welcome.

You can see and modify a file's status (ie. you can go On-Line and Off-Line) via File > Properties.

You'll also 'link' BOTH files to the master-- by 'going on line".

ps: remember,  you've created one of the files as a sync copy-- and that creates the master.  Use one .eco on one machine and the other on the other,  BOTH 'on-line' when possible to the USB.

See again tread mentioned in above post.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Rickw
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #14 - 07/22/08 at 07:38:50

Going by the sample shown on the page about online/offline, it looks like I link to the ecb file in the properties.

The other strange problem still isn't solved. When I was keeping the main eco file on the flash drive and opening from there on each computer, the program would shut down properly on the Vista computer. But last night, when I put the eco file back on my hard drive and ran it from there, it couldn't shut down properly. It gave me a "Cannot write to file" message. I had to use the task manager to shut down the program.

Maybe I should go back to a notepad in my pocket!

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #15 - 07/22/08 at 20:27:35

1. you mean ECG.  (The ECB file holds any OLE objects from the .eco file).

2. So, on the Vista,  you are not able to write to a file at close down.    Is this happening with any (such as new) ecco file,  or just this one ?

if happening with *any* eco file,  is likey either:

(A) another program like google index locking the file,  or

(B) a permissions problem with Vista--  Ecco is trying to update a file such as ecco.alm (alarms),  on the root windows directory,  and is getting block out as not having high enough permissions.

if this is the case, the Slang extension USB mode might cure this,  as would running ecco with higher permissions.

note: if file is seen as from a different USER,  that might also be a problem in Vista....

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print