Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
05/03/24 at 21:34:29
News: If you outline, checkout the new outlineZOOM extension. Amazing stuff to instantly bring your ideas into focus.
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
restoring from backup without disconnecting from replicas (Popularity: 9822 )
vicente
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post restoring from backup without disconnecting from replicas
08/24/09 at 23:23:05

Can anyone tell me what harm I may have caused by reverting to a backup (.bak) of my file without having disconnected from a replica? No problems were immediately apparent even though I subsequently synchronized my file with the replica, but I have this uneasy feeling....
Thanks

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: restoring from backup without disconnecting from replicas
Reply #1 - 08/25/09 at 06:32:48

If your file was online with master (the .ecg file)  generally is 100% safe.

older file version when opened is updated just like sync would be to latest changes.

( I do this once in a while also,   since changes to networked file take instantly (ie., closing without saving doesn't undo) on occasion I have to rename a .bak and open that to undo an undesired change.)

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
vicente
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: restoring from backup without disconnecting from replicas
Reply #2 - 08/25/09 at 09:47:42

Thanks for the reply and sorry for  posting under important topics. I would move my post if I could.

It is comforting to hear that it is OK to use a backup without first having synchronized the master with the remote or replica file.

I am however somewhat puzzled because I have read that when the master and remote  files are both online and ecco has updated both files with any changes that may be necessary, those changes are then removed from the .ecg file which keeps track of outstanding changes.  The changes are now reflected in the master and remote files and no longer in the .ecg file. If I now replace either the master or the replica with an older version the two files will no longer be the same. The .ecg file does not know that I have replaced the file and therefore cannot keep track of any differences between them resulting from my replacement. Will those differences then persist indefinitely?

IP Logged
vicente
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 08/25/09 at 09:55:50

Please note that I am using the term Master for the original file from which I created the replica or remote file. I just noticed that you use the term to refer to the .ecg file which keeps track of the changes.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #4 - 08/25/09 at 15:55:58

Quote from vicente on 08/25/09 at 09:47:42:
Thanks for the reply and sorry for  posting under important topics. I would move my post if I could.

It is comforting to hear that it is OK to use a backup without first having synchronized the master with the remote or replica file.

I am however somewhat puzzled because I have read that when the master and remote  files are both online and ecco has updated both files with any changes that may be necessary, those changes are then removed from the .ecg file which keeps track of outstanding changes.  The changes are now reflected in the master and remote files and no longer in the .ecg file. If I now replace either the master or the replica with an older version the two files will no longer be the same. The .ecg file does not know that I have replaced the file and therefore cannot keep track of any differences between them resulting from my replacement. Will those differences then persist indefinitely?

the ECG is a FULL copy of your file.

the .bak file contains last update time.

The master does a good job of filling in changes  if not extensive.

in theory there can be issues of very extensive changes,  but have never tested the limits-- you can.

create a test file w/ a sync slave.

save a bk1

then make dramatic changes, deletions, etc. etc.

update slave

then open the bk1  (after rename)

does it auto-update ?

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
vicente
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Reply #5 - 08/25/09 at 17:14:46

Hmm... I always thought that the ECG file contained the items that needed to be changed in order to make  the main and replica files equal. This explained (to my mind) why the ECG file got very small as I synchronized back and  forth several times without making any changes (so each change had been fully acknowledged in both directions).

My ECG files have always been a LOT smaller than my main file (.ECO) and they appear to grow in size as the number of outstanding (unacknowledged by synchronizing back from replica to main file) changes grows.  

I will try to do the experiment you suggest.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #6 - 08/26/09 at 21:26:08

Am pretty sure (99.94%) changes are kept in ECCO file and .ecg is master .ecb holds master ole objects.

if your ecg file LOT smaller than ecco,  side .eco has been corrupted *or* has OBJECTS (held in .ecb file!)

Experiment and will see cools stuff!

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print