Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
05/04/24 at 16:18:40
News: Try magicHijack!, Hoist, Move, & Gather, is simply amazing!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
keyboard shortcults in FileMagic (Popularity: 7316 )
pakucha
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post keyboard shortcults in FileMagic
04/26/09 at 02:42:35

Hi,
it's really great to see some development in ecco. And with excellent results too. Like for many others, ecco has been indispensable for me for years now. I thnk I can do a lot with it, yet there are still several functions I am still discovering. And yes, a few important things missing. Some of them seem to be dealt with by FileMagic and the slang extension. I've just started fiddling with both, having properly installed them only yesterday. I have also tried MagicView but that still seems a bit wobbly. But I can see it's an enormous task! I VERY much like the way SQL notes handles similar needs with their HTML pane (one of the few promissing things about SQL notes, although for me the program is still a far cry from ecco. Still, fingers crossed for the developer, another task that may be just too much for one person to carry out unless years of extremely hard work are available).  

Now, one thing I find annoying in File Magic is the preset and non-configurable keyboard shortcuts. I use Macro Express and for years I've been using my own system wide shortcuts that now conflict with File Magic. Is any configuration tool that would help with this on the way? Or is it already there somewhere and I just haven't found it yet?

Thanks for all the good work!
Best wishes
Pavel

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: keyboard shortcults in FileMagic
Reply #1 - 04/26/09 at 11:54:44

working on a configuration system that will work universally.   While it seems that should be simple enough, having some issues with different system setups,  and needing to understand much more deeply some of the vista/windows 7  'safety' features which are causing issues.

for now,

most special key assignment requests can be handled just by requesting them when you register.

Ie.,  for now, will build a custom version for you or anyone who needs it.

ps: try the latest MagicVew v3.9 or greater,  and make a 'bug' report in bug.eccomagic.com forum for any wobbly issues.  

« Last Edit: 04/26/09 at 13:57:47 by Admin »  

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
pakucha
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #2 - 04/27/09 at 01:19:10

I'm sure it's everything but easy, especially when stability is not only critical but also something we've got used to taking for granted with Ecco.  
For now, I've changed the conflicting shortcuts in my system and it's okay.
EccoExt has a Keyboard shortcut setting - I'm probably being very naive now, but could that be just extended with more functions to configure?

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 04/27/09 at 07:51:57

actually that adds to the complexity.

need to take into account not only oriignal ecco keys but slanged' modified keys.

if not clear,  the file magic tool restores a bunch of native functions that were lost in xp.

the biggest problem is vista in some flavors.   We are grabbing keys you press while in  Ecco,  so when doing dynamic change (or trying to trap all keys and feed back to ecco, etc.) creates some issues.

am sure there is clean way to do it.    Just requires breaking down the fundamental workings of vista rules,  to allow properly.

something that is easy to do most of the time,  but seems still tricky to do *all* of the time,  on universal ecco application.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
pakucha
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #4 - 04/27/09 at 15:04:19

I actaully don't use Vista and see absolutely no reason to ever switch to it from XP: I installed XP even on my new laptop that came with Vista preinstalled. But I can see your point and I understand there are lots of people around who just need Vista functionality. Definitely more than those who like me actually hate it when a program comes with its own shortcuts because it's so much better to make your own Smiley

Well, good luck with your work!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print