Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
05/03/24 at 09:41:34
News: If you have a scroll wheel, TRY EM SCROLL WHEELS. It's NICE!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how do you change file extension exe_file to exe? (Popularity: 21641 )
dwl3858
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post how do you change file extension exe_file to exe?
01/28/09 at 00:29:22

hello I have been using ecco since it came out with a few years off for act and outlook, the latter which I find to be an interference with good management of information. I am trying to download and install some of the Ecco Magic free apps. Ecco Magic says just drop the" _file" from the extension. However, I cannot find a way to do that. I use Mozilla Firefox 3.0.5. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am reasonably computer savvy. Cannot change the file type except by doing it for all such files - is this what other do? It is not just a simple renaming of the file. thanks in advance.

Email   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: how do you change file extension exe_file to exe?
Reply #1 - 01/28/09 at 09:31:34

welcome!

you can 1:  right click on the link as Save AS.

or,

2: download the file with the _file extension.   After you have it on your computer,  open the folder you downloaded it to.  then simply manually rename the file.

if none of this works for you,  will create a utility to do this for you.   Just let me know.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
dwl3858
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: how do you change file extension exe_file to exe?
Reply #2 - 01/28/09 at 12:06:20

well I do not know why but I cannot save it as an exe file the file type is blocked -I have been able to save many files on my computer and change the file extension this is the first file type I have encountered that I cannot change thanks for the quick response and the kind offer

Email   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 01/28/09 at 18:09:31

hmmmm.

can you change the name to xxxx.EXE.TXT

ie.,  from exe_file  to exe.txt  ??

also,  

do you have an anti-virus or anti-spyware active ?

if you turn it off,  does that solve issue ?

[are you trying to change name from windows explorer ?]

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
dwl3858
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #4 - 01/29/09 at 00:46:26

Hello I did solve the extension issue for some reason in my xp the fileextension was "hidden" - I could see it but not change it - I have never had that come up so I was mystified as I could change all other file extensions. However I then put the .exe file into my ecco 32 folder but i get the following error "...error in processing very lily you are not running this program from your eccoext/ecco21.exe directory..."

Email   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #5 - 01/29/09 at 13:28:51

ok!

eh,

which tool ?

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
dwl3858
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #6 - 02/05/09 at 23:03:23

it was          
FREEWARE EM-EccoExt Beginner Mode Enabler.

Email   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #7 - 02/06/09 at 09:14:11

you've also put the ecco extension and startup files in the same directory,  right ?

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
dwl3858
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #8 - 02/06/09 at 12:46:36

yes I have I try to follow the explanations - I have also looked at ann boleyn, magic hijack,etc. I can get them to open no what directory they are in - also I am not sure what extension to give them

Email   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #9 - 02/07/09 at 20:07:36

Quote from dwl3858 on 02/06/09 at 12:46:36:
yes I have I try to follow the explanations - I have also looked at ann boleyn, magic hijack,etc. I can get them to open no what directory they are in - also I am not sure what extension to give them

the file extensions need to be ".exe" in order to run.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Lapen
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #10 - 03/30/09 at 18:12:08

I have an issue- I was able to download the file and change the extension name, however the program doesn't load, even when I try to run it as an administrator (I'm using Vista.) I end up getting a message box that say "This application has failed to start because nmeccln.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." Is there anything else I can do to make it work?

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #11 - 03/30/09 at 21:42:16

Quote from Lapen on 03/30/09 at 18:12:08:
I have an issue- I was able to download the file and change the extension name, however the program doesn't load, even when I try to run it as an administrator (I'm using Vista.) I end up getting a message box that say "This application has failed to start because nmeccln.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." Is there anything else I can do to make it work?

which file ?  

which vista version ?

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Lapen
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #12 - 03/31/09 at 19:53:04

exe_file, Vista Home premium.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #13 - 03/31/09 at 20:09:44

Quote from Lapen on 03/31/09 at 19:53:04:
exe_file, Vista Home premium.

eh ?

for any tool named XXX.exe_file  rename to XXX.exe

in this case (of error message)  WHAT IS THE XXX part... ?

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Lapen
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #14 - 04/02/09 at 08:41:11

It's just the eccomagic.exe_file.

We have two different versions of Vista as well. One's Home basic and the other is home premium.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #15 - 04/02/09 at 18:48:06

just rename to eccomagic.exe  and run.

(from windows explorer,  F2 is the rename button.   You may need to select in folder options showing file extensions).

Edited:

New beginner's tool to rename exe_file to .exe , here.

if EM does not work in vista (ie. runs but seems not to help with pastes, etc.), can use "Eccomagic.exe X"  to run, where X is a number from 2-10 (slows down EM to work with Vista when necessary).

« Last Edit: 04/03/09 at 04:33:02 by Admin »  

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print