Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
05/02/24 at 11:33:45
News: Try magicHijack!, Hoist, Move, & Gather, is simply amazing!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do I question about MultiEcco (Popularity: 11227 )
rb

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post How do I question about MultiEcco
11/13/08 at 15:11:23

I had a question about the mutliEcco enabler, but it is not possible to post in the Tools forum...??
Where are we supposed to post questions related to the Tools?

My Question:
I am not sure I understand how it is supposed to work.

What I would like to do:
I have created several separate Ecco directories which have their own configuration files and Ecco.exe & EccoExt.exe. I set the option to run from "USB".

Can I use multiEcco to run each of the EccoExt.exe at the same time? How? Is this how it was supposed to be set up?

BTW, it is very difficult for me to post in this forum because I can not see the mouse cursor (using FF3). I have no problems in any other forum..

p.s. Just found out that I do see the cursor after posting and editing. Just not when originally posting.

« Last Edit: 11/14/08 at 08:42:27 by Admin »  
  IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: How do I post in the Tools section; Question about MultiEcco; Can't see Cursor in the Forum
Reply #1 - 11/14/08 at 08:41:26

Quote from rb on 11/13/08 at 15:11:23:
I had a question about the mutliEcco enabler, but it is not possible to post in the Tools forum...??
right.  eccoTools.com  board for download/tutorials on tools,  this board for questions.

Quote:

My Question:
I am not sure I understand how it is supposed to work.

What I would like to do:
I have created several separate Ecco directories which have their own configuration files and Ecco.exe & EccoExt.exe. I set the option to run from "USB".

Can I use multiEcco to run each of the EccoExt.exe at the same time? How? Is this how it was supposed to be set up?

yes you can.  It is easy and only needs to be done once for each file.

simply  

1) RENAME each ecco32.exe  to a new name in sequence starting with eccA32s.exe  eccB32s.exe etc.

2) run the tool once on each file.

3) rename the files JUST REMOVE THE S.  eg.  eccA32.exe,  eccB32.exe  etc.

4) set up a shortcut for each file (see the original thread for text)  which runs slang extension and points correct file to use.

that's it!

when  done everything will look the same... but the EccoTools  tools,  (or most all of them)  will now work like magic-- on every open ecco session.  

You can even do mind bending stuff like load MagicView page from one file in one ecco session,  and then another page from another file in that same session,  and then a thrid file from another file in another session. and a fourth from another session,   and... the F5 MagicView history will work great!.  (ie. instant back and forth-- regardless of which ecco the page came from [so long as that ecco is still open with that file!]).

also the multi-session activation allows magicHoist, etc etc etc to work in each ecco session.

hope helpful.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
rb

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: How do I question about MultiEcco
Reply #2 - 12/09/08 at 21:34:24

I still do not understand the purpose of the mutliEcco Enabler. Without it:  

I have 2 installations of Ecco and Eccoext in Dir1 & Dir2 (each with its own copy of Ecco.cfx etc), and I have enabled EccoExt USB mode.

I start Ecco in Dir1 by: \Dir1\eccoext.exe -n
I next start Ecco in Dir2 by: \Dir2\eccoext.exe -n
(or vice versa)

This works fine except that the second instance of Ecco is missing the toolbar buttons.
Any clue why? Maybe a bug in EccoExt when running Multiple instances of Ecco and USB mode at the same time...?

Also, what difference would it make if I first run the mutliEcco Enabler on the Ecco executables in each directory?

« Last Edit: 12/10/08 at 02:28:17 by rb »  
  IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 12/10/08 at 12:23:33

Let's say you use an EM tool,  like the MV tool, for example.

if you have 2 sessions of ecco running at same time,   Tool cannot know which session you intend.

MV (and other EM tools) designed to work with multiple Ecco sessions.   You can, for example,  view a page in session 1,  then  another in session 2,   and use the history feature to view page in session 1 (even if you are still in session 2).

Using the EM MultiSession enabler  allows the EM tools to identify and communicate with each ecco session independently.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #4 - 12/10/08 at 15:23:04

Quote from rb on 12/09/08 at 21:34:24:
I still do not understand the purpose of the mutliEcco Enabler. Without it:

I have 2 installations of Ecco and Eccoext in Dir1 & Dir2 (each with its own copy of Ecco.cfx etc), and I have enabled EccoExt USB mode.

I start Ecco in Dir1 by: \Dir1\eccoext.exe -n
I next start Ecco in Dir2 by: \Dir2\eccoext.exe -n
(or vice versa)

This works fine except that the second instance of Ecco is missing the toolbar buttons.
Any clue why? Maybe a bug in EccoExt when running Multiple instances of Ecco and USB mode at the same time...?

Also, what difference would it make if I first run the mutliEcco Enabler on the Ecco executables in each directory?

if you reverse order,  the 2nd in time run is missing the bar ?

try with the enabler,  may resolve. [untested].

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
rb

I Love Ecco!

Reply #5 - 12/10/08 at 18:41:42

Quote from Admin on 12/10/08 at 15:23:04:

if you reverse order,  the 2nd in time run is missing the bar ?

try with the enabler,  may resolve. [untested].

The order doesn't matter, the second instance is always missing the buttons. It appears that the first instance is using the Ecco.cfx file in its Ecco directory, and the second instance is using the Ecco.cfx file in the windows directory. Must be an EccoExt bug when using multiple instances and USB Mode.

I also posted a comment about this in the Ecco Forum (but no response from Slang).

--
I also tried the mutliEcco Enabler, but it made no difference. In my case I was not using any EM tools, so actually I didn't really need it.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #6 - 12/10/08 at 20:14:04

1. you may need to take out of usb mode,  run, then put back in usb mode.

2. make sure you've followed instructions,  have different eccX32.exe file names,   and launch as explained with explicit ext. launch of the files.

3. if this makes a difference in your results ?

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
rb

I Love Ecco!

Reply #7 - 12/10/08 at 20:28:17

>> 1. you may need to take out of usb mode,  run, then put back in usb mode.
What is "run"? The multiEcco Enabler? If so, why would this make a difference? Ecco is not running during the conversion.
Anyway, I am not sure that I understand why using the Enabler would help in this case. I am not using any EM tools...??

>> 2. make sure you've followed instructions,  have different eccX32.exe file names, and launch as explained with explicit ext. launch of the files.
I simply copied ecco32.exe to to 2 new files, eccA32S.exe and eccB32S.exe. Converted the files using the Enabler, and then renamed to eccA32.exe and eccB32.exe. Put each file in its own dir (Dir1 & Dir2), and then created shortcuts:
\Dir1\eccoext.exe -n eccA32.exe
\Dir2\eccoext.exe -n eccB32.exe

Again, the second instance is using ecco.cfx from the windows directory rather than from the Ecco launch directory.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print