Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
05/02/24 at 02:07:28
News: If you have a scroll wheel, TRY EM SCROLL WHEELS. It's NICE!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Printing in Vista (Popularity: 45193 )
ptrombetta
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Printing in Vista
08/29/08 at 22:32:49

I am new to the group.  I successfully loaded ecco onto Vista Pro using your ez loader.  The program seems to run fine except when I try to print.  I have USB printers and ecco will not print.  I see all the printers in file/printer setup but no matter which one I select, ecco can't recognized any installed printers or drivers.  

I have used ecco for 10 years, primarily for the outline features, but if I cannot print, I must begin the quest to find another outline program.  Can any one help me with this problem?

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: Printing in Vista
Reply #1 - 08/30/08 at 14:15:55

1. running ecco as Admin ?  [try this]

2. ecco can't recognized any installed printers or drivers.   ....  what error/message you get, specifically ?

3. check printer permissions... everyone allowed ?  [try also network enable one]

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
ptrombetta
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Reply #2 - 08/30/08 at 19:48:43

1.  Running ecco as administrator makes no difference other than the error message.  file/printer setup works normally but when attempting to print, message says "ecco" No Default Printer- use control panel to install and select default printer.

2.  Running under my user name with admin priveleges- error message is:  Please Note:  There is no current printer or couldn't open driver.

Other error message I got one time had to do with the thunking spooler APIS 32-64 process stopped running.  Seems like that message happened one time upon initial loading of the ecco program.  I did install SP1 and also the hot fix for the problem per the microsoft website.  

3.  I enabled everyone for everything in the printer permissions.  I don't have a network printer so can't try to print on a network.  I have tried to print to paperport image- same error.  

In summary it seems like ecco is not able to see any printer drivers during the print function but during the printer setup function, the available printers display normally.  Some kind of registry glitch I would think.

I'm at the end of my rope with this actually.  Can't think of anything else to try or do and I will absolutely hate toi give up ecco over this but unless I can get it fixed, I must.  Sad day for me.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 08/31/08 at 06:03:21

Ecco *does* work (and print) from Vista.

the issue is... getting it to work in *your* vista!

File > Printer Setup

and

File > Manage Page setups

work normally for you in Vista  ?

[can you compare to same on Xp machine ?]

also,

MS has FREE virtual machine program,

allows you to run XP *inside* of your vista.

ie.,

the worst case is running ecco inside a "virtual machine" window in vista.

would help to 'de-install' ecco.  to DELETE all registry entries for ecco,  and to re-install in new directory.

also,  try the regular install prior to single directory version.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
ptrombetta
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Reply #4 - 08/31/08 at 17:19:14

Agreed- it's a problem with "my" vista.

File/printer setup look and feel is same as with XP.

File/manage page setups appears normal but there are no page setups to manage.  I dont recall ever using this feature in XP. I don't have an option for entering a "new" setup, it seems.

Where would I find a list of all registry entries to delete if I were to clean ecco entirely from my vista machine for a clean re-install?

I have tried my original ecco32 and ecco32 update programs but they won't load on vista.  I get an error saying something to the effect that the operating system is incompatible.

I do appreciate all of your help and efforts to solve my problem.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #5 - 08/31/08 at 18:51:20

1. try install with this:  http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ecco_pro/files/**Ecco%20Pro%20v.%204.01**
( (download both files, run to extract, then run to install). )

2. NO page setups showing = REGISTRY PROBLEM.

included in single directory install is a .reg file

try run it,  and/or try run it from within ecco (as launch tool for example).

help ?

ps: have you played with the compatibility mode settings ?

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
ptrombetta
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Reply #6 - 08/31/08 at 19:37:23

The link doesn't seem to work.  I have the ecco_pro yahoo user group open and I am on the file section.  Which specific download are you referring to?  The updated installer which is an .exe file?  I tried that before with no luck.  

By the way, on the single directory install, I did run the .reg file but not from within ecco.  From a windows explorer window- double clicked it and it seemed to run.  I got a message saying registry was updated or something to that effect.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #7 - 09/01/08 at 03:13:11

Quote from ptrombetta on 08/31/08 at 19:37:23:
The link doesn't seem to work. I have the ecco_pro yahoo user group open and I am on the file section. Which specific download are you referring to? The updated installer which is an .exe file? I tried that before with no luck.

application/      Ecco Pro from Netmanage site - Setup32.sfx.part1.exe
Final Release from NetManage (Official Release but NOT A NETMANAGE SUPPORTED PROGRAM)      4096 KB              yoursowelcom...
Offline      Mar 22, 2007      Edit  Delete  Cut  
application/      Ecco Pro from Netmanage site - Setup32.sfx.part2.rar
Second part...

download both files & run the exe.

then run the extracted setup32.exe

Quote:

By the way, on the single directory install, I did run the .reg file but not from within ecco. From a windows explorer window- double clicked it and it seemed to run. I got a message saying registry was updated or something to that effect.

Vista is 'funny' in handling registry.   To 'protect' you,  creates a phantom registry duplicate in many modes.   Try to run the .reg in ADMIN mode,  and/or from within ecco.

ecco stores printer info in registry.

you are either not storing that info,  or not getting to proper part of registry when running ecco.

running with the slang extension in USB mode.. *MAY* [untested]  also be work around.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
ptrombetta
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Reply #8 - 09/01/08 at 04:59:33

I'm getting fairly confused.  

First let me say that I solved the problem of the lack of page setups when viewing FILE/MANAGE PAGE SETUPS.  Here is what I did.

1.  Removed all obvious ecco files and folders from the single folder installation.  Did not mess with the registry but ran PC Works Registry clean up to try to get rid of registry stuff that didn't have an associated program.  Not sure if I got all registry stuff for netmanage, ecco or eccopro.  

2.  Loaded the ecco files manually using the Compusol website method.  I had to guess at a couple of directories but essentially this:

C:/PROGRAM FILES folder I placed the main ECCO folder and it's files (not PROGRAM X86 directory).

In the C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM folder I placed the various DLL's and other windows files. (not the SYSTEM32 and not the SYSWOW64 folder).

IN the C:/WINDOWS folder I placed the ecco.cfx and unwise.exe files.

In the C:/USERS/PAUL/APPDATA/ROAMING/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/START MENU/PROGRAMS I placed the start menu files/shortcuts.

In the C:/ I placed the .cfx file, EccoPro.reg.  I ran it from there, and I also ran it from within the Ecco main program folder.  

Following the above, I can see the FILE/MANAGE PAGE SETUPS various pages, but still cannot print.  same errors.

My next thought was to completely remove the ecco from the registry manually.  And start over.   I planned to do a registry "find" for netmanage and for ecco and for eccopro.  When I found something, I would delete it.  Plus delete all the ecco files of course.

I think I did not completely delete the ecco references first above because when I ran ecco the tool bar was still the same as it was as set up by me so something must have remained from the prior installation.

Now to discuss what you have said-- the netmanage website has a download called ecco32.exe.  

ECCO Pro 4.01.363
The following file will install last version of ECCO Pro made by NetManage Inc. Please note that NetManage no longer supports this product. .  

setup32.exe (6564 KB)  

The above download does not run on my Vista Ultimate.  The error says The verion of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows your're running.  Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the program, and then contact hte software publisher.

The netmanage site where I see this file download is:
 http://supportweb.netmanage.com/ts_viewnow/downloads/patchesUnsupported/ecco.asp

Is there another location where I may find the files that you mention?

I don't understand about how to run "something" with a slang expression in USB mode.  Beyond my skills I think.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #9 - 09/01/08 at 15:52:06

1. toolbar is cfx file (not registry).

2. try the setup32.exe from the Ecco_pro files site.

3. is you are seeing page setups,  you're getting closer.

when you specifically try to select a printer for a print,

what specifically are you seeing ?

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
ptrombetta
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Reply #10 - 09/01/08 at 17:10:03

The ecco_pro files site doesn't have any file called setup32.exe.  Only the automated installer called  EccoPro_4.01_UpdatedInstall.exe  
Updated Installer for ECCO Pro 4.01 - Installs ECCO Pro on Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista  .

I already tried that installer- first attempt, actually.  Same results.  No printing.

When I go to FILE/PRINTER SETUP, under Printer Name I see all of my printer drivers such as HP Officejet 5600, Microsoft XPS document writer, Paperport image printer.. and so forth.

I also see the status as ready, the type, and where- which is the port.  In the case of the office jet I am trying to use it's USB002 port.

I also see Paper options and Orientation, and a network button.  OK and Cancel.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #11 - 09/02/08 at 05:34:04

Quote from ptrombetta on 09/01/08 at 17:10:03:
The ecco_pro files site doesn't have any file called setup32.exe. Only the automated installer called EccoPro_4.01_UpdatedInstall.exe
Updated Installer for ECCO Pro 4.01 - Installs ECCO Pro on Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista .

I already tried that installer- first attempt, actually. Same results. No printing.

1. are you confusing the "Ecco_Pro"  (with underline)  with the "Ecco Pro" no underline sites ?

there is a file as listed above which creates a file setup32.exe  for you to run.

Yahoo limits the size of files in upload area,  and setup32.exe wsa too big.  so split up into 2 files,  run the first with the second, to create the setup32.exe to install.

<for story on forum hist. of ecco_pro group,  see  http://forums.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1165984199 >  

2. using ecco's printer setup,  can you change the default printer ?

(ie. so change 'takes') ?

--> if you have not installed with ecco32.exe  recommend you try so.
the 'EccoPro_4.01_UpdatedInstall.exe' is *NOT* a netmanage product.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #12 - 09/02/08 at 08:42:43

Quote from ptrombetta on 09/01/08 at 17:10:03:
The ecco_pro files site doesn't have any file called setup32.exe. Only the automated installer called EccoPro_4.01_UpdatedInstall.exe
Updated Installer for ECCO Pro 4.01 - Installs ECCO Pro on Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista .

I already tried that installer- first attempt, actually. Same results. No printing.

you actually should do a system restore to point PRIOR to using the 'EccoPro_4.01_UpdatedInstall.exe'  (which may be the cause of issues).

[if you send me a copy of the install program,  will look at it[.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
ptrombetta
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Reply #13 - 09/04/08 at 20:29:15

I will resume this project later today.  It's so time consuming.  I have some replies for you and will post a comprehensive reply in a few hours.  thank you.

IP Logged
ptrombetta
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Reply #14 - 09/04/08 at 22:42:23

1.  I was referring to the ecco_pro yahoo group (with the underline).  I have attached the file that I downloaded from there, per your request.

2.  I cannot really revert using system restore because I have done so much with this computer since I first loaded ecco.  Ecco was one of the first things I did when setting up the new laptop.

3.  I can change the printer using FILE/printer setup.  As far as I know the change "takes".  When I then select PRINT, I get the print page to select properties and so forth.  

4.  I did try to load ecco32.exe from netmanage.  Does not work.  I get an error message as mentioned before about operating system incompatibility.  Did I mention that my vista is 64bit?

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #15 - 09/04/08 at 23:03:30

Tangential (but important) question moved to This Thread

« Last Edit: 09/06/08 at 15:52:39 by Admin »  

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
ptrombetta
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Reply #16 - 09/05/08 at 21:08:02

here is the file as requested.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #17 - 09/06/08 at 16:30:42

ok,

try moving the location of the ecco files.

(see David Cherniack's helpful post at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ecco_pro/message/4470 )

Quote:
As Dave G. pointed out last March the Ecco install program has
16 bit code and won't run...he therefore ran it under VirtualPC.
But it is possible natively. Both the shooter and Eccoext work.
Here's how I did it.

I copied a working Ecco directory from an XP install to the
\Program Files (x86) on the Vista 64 machine. I then copied
TDLIR32.DLL, PROTL32.DLL, & DATZAP32.DLL from
\windows\system32 on the XP machine to the same directory on
the Vista 64 machine. Then I copied the Ecco*.* files from the
XP \Windows directory to the Vista \Windows directory.

I created a shortcut to the Eccoext.exe file on my desktop and it
was done.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
ptrombetta
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Reply #18 - 09/06/08 at 17:21:04

Yes I will try Davids idea.  I have ecco on an XP machine so that will be the source of my files.  I thought ecco was a 32 bit program, hence the ecco32.  It appears that the files David refers to are from an earlier version of ecco than what is posted at the netmanage site currently.  Neverthless I will clean ecco from all directories and all references to ecco/netmanage, etc. from the registry, and try a clean install per David's method.  I'll let you know.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #19 - 09/06/08 at 19:54:41

actually,

you don't need to do all that.

just relocate the eccopro main directory to a sub directory of the special vista64 directory for non 64 bit programs.

vista treats programs differently in this way.

you can just use the EM single directory zip,  and unzip it in that location and run.

try and let me know.

the deeper MS tech explanation goes something like this...

Quote:
The x64 version of Windows is not capable of natively running 32-bit code. Because most applications are 32-bit, the x64 version of Windows makes use of an emulator known as WOW64 to allow 32-bit applications to run.

One of the problems with running 32-bit code on a 64-bit operating system is that the OS must maintain complete code separation. Microsoft has created a new folder named \Windows\SysWOW64 that is used to store the 32-bit DLLs. In the 32-bit version of Windows, DLL files are normally stored in the \windows\system32 folder. However, the x64 version of Windows uses the \windows\system32 folder for 64-bit DLLs.

As you can see, the WOW64 emulator must perform file system redirection in order to guarantee that 32- and 64-bit code remain separated. But keeping DLL files separated is only the beginning. The WOW64 emulator performs file system redirection for several key components of the Windows operating system.

Another location in Windows where file system redirection is used is the Program Files folder. Almost every application you install it gets installed to the C:\Program Files folder. Because each application is installed in a separate subfolder, the Program Files folder seems like an unlikely target for file system redirection. However, in the x64 version of Windows, only 64-bit applications are usually installed in the Program Files folder -- 32-bit applications are installed in a folder named \Program Files (x86).

However, the Program Files folder may not always be in the same place on every computer. I have seen deployments (admittedly few and far between) in which Windows was installed on a secondary hard drive. As such, most application developers do not hard-code the c:\Program Files path into applications. Instead, Setup programs usually make a call to an OS function known as SHGetSpecialFolder() in order to determine the exact name and location of the Program Files folder. Although this bit of information may seem trivial, it is useful in making sure that applications are installed to the correct folder.

In the 32-bit version of Windows, the SHGetSpecialFolder() function is used to determine the name and location of the Program Files folder. But in the x64 version, the function looks at whether the Setup application was running 32- or 64-bit code and performs folder redirection based on that application.

Application installation is not the only time when the Program Files folder is referenced; it may also be referenced during application run time. Although there are several ways that an application can determine the name and location of the Program Files folder, environment variables are often used. In a 32-bit version of Windows, the %ProgramFiles% environment variable contains the path to the Program Files folder. In an x64 version of Windows, this environment variable is still used, but it works differently.

The most important rule of the x64 platform is that you absolutely cannot mix 64- and 32-bit code. Environment variables are often called from within scripts. That being the case, running scripts can get a bit tricky in a 64-bit environment. Should Windows treat the script as 32-bit code or as 64-bit code? The answer affects not only the contents of the environment variables, but also which external programs the script can call. For example, a 64-bit script can't launch a 32-bit process (at least not in the usual way).

Windows gets around these issues by offering two command prompts: one 64-bit and one 32-bit. Environment variables are set according to which command environment is being used.

For example, if you open a command prompt by entering the CMD.EXE command at the Run prompt, Windows will open a 64-bit command prompt. In most cases, the %ProgramFiles% environment variable for the command environment will be set to C:\Program Files. If you run a script, the script can interact with 64-bit applications, but not with 32-bit apps.

On the flip side, if you enter the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe command at the run prompt, you'll be running a 32-bit command prompt. In that case, the %ProgramFiles% environment variable will be set to C:\Program Files (x86).

As you can see, the location of the Program Files folder is redirected depending on whether you're running 32- or 64-bit code. But there's one exception to this rule. If an application has the C:\Program Files path hard-coded, then C:\Program Files will be used, even if the application is made up of 32-bit code. Folder redirection does not occur for hard-coded paths. Fortunately, hard-coding paths is not a common programming practice.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print