Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
03/28/24 at 16:57:56
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Non-Techie's ::beginner:: guide to Ecco/Cellphone Syncing (Popularity: 5853 )
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Non-Techie's ::beginner:: guide to Ecco/Cellphone Syncing
11/21/07 at 10:55:39

In ecco_pro@yahoogroups.com, TenacularDogs@... wrote Quote:

If this thingie will work with ECCO, why won't the phone I bought this week?

I haven't had a chance yet to take it back to the store. And, I haven't made
the time to figure it out in case I end up with a different phone/PDA. Don't
want to go through that learning curve twice if I don't have to. Either way,
I'll have to learn how to synchronize.

And if this applies to you,  

here is some guidance:

Most phones have built in phone books,  and appointment calendars.

If they IMPORT standard text files then you can export a copy of your Ecco phone list and schedule and have *A* *COPY* in your phone.   You can DELETE ALL YOUR PHONE PHONEBOOK, and do the process again whenever.   Thus,  you will always be 'syncronized'  and have a copy of your ecco phonebook and calendar (perhaps) in your phone.   You will have to enter *ALL* phone numbers in Ecco,  as they 'sync' is by killing the copy in your phone.

PDA devices with a system known as the "Palm" system,   have a very sophisticated phone book and calendar system.   SOME PHONES ALSO HAVE THE "PALM" SYSTEM.    Am 100% sure you can ask,   and likely be told wherever you purchase your phone  which are "PALM" based devices.

The "PALM" based systems allow BI-DIRECTIONAL sharing of data and updates.   If you modify an entry in the Palm,   when you do a SYNC,  it will UPDATE your computer based ECCO File.  (if this is what you want).   You can log conversations,  mileage, whatever,  and IMPORT IT (automatically)  right into your live ecco file.

With the "PALM" system you can sync directly from Ecco,  SMOOTHLY.

another system is "POCKET PC"  or "MOBILE WINDOWS".  (Same thing, different years of release).   These also have very sophisticated phone books and calendar programs-->  *VERY SOPHISTICATED*.   It is possible to Sync these with Ecco as with the "PALM", but to do so,  you need 3rd part software.    In older versions of the POCKET PC,  a program PDASync v 1.5 worked *VERY* nicely.   There have been reports of problems doing the same in newer Mobile PC devices.   In that case,  you have to Sync with MS Outlook,  and then sync Outlook with the "Mobile Windows" device.

so,  right now,   for ECCO sync,   "PALM" is the,  by far,  best way to go.  Ie.  better than everything that is not "PALM" and not "Mobile Windows",  and better than mobile windows for Ecco syncing...

There are *many* alternatives to "PALM" based phones,  but NONE of them allow syncing directly from Ecco.

In the future,  this may all radically change.   We are working on a project to 'port' Ecco  (the entire program)  to run on Mobile Windows based phones.   If the project is successful (it may,  or may not end up working as we dream),  you will be able to work on LIVE ECCO FILES  right on your phone,  and SYNC those files with your main ecco files on your PC.   Downright amazing stuff.    If that becomes reality,  then "Mobile Windows" will be,  by far,  the best phone choice for mobile syncability with Ecco.

Final note:  many love the I-Phone.   If someone wants to send me one,  can look and see what options there are to sync with Ecco.   It may be possible to sync with some additional coding,  which is possible,  but again,  not a present reality.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: Non-Techie's ::beginner:: guide to Ecco/Cellphone Syncing
Reply #1 - 06/16/08 at 08:38:33

See related topic at This Thread

« Last Edit: 06/16/08 at 20:04:34 by Admin »  

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print