Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
04/20/24 at 00:24:43
News: Try magicHijack!, Hoist, Move, & Gather, is simply amazing!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HOW DO I FIX MY OVERFILLED AUTO-DATE FOLDER ??!! (Popularity: 27313 )
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post HOW DO I FIX MY OVERFILLED AUTO-DATE FOLDER ??!!
11/20/07 at 14:04:34

ok, just some gentle reminders for all us 'old timers'....

1) Forget all the old 'myths' about datestamps and running out of 'memory'. You can have HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DATESTAMPS!!!  actually, you can have, over ONE HUNDRED MILLION DATE STAMPS IN ECCO and NOT RUN OUT of "MEMORY!!".

for real.

the 'trick' is to understand how to use them. And it's worth getting it down.

for any single 'date stamp' folder you can only have about 16,000 items stamped with it.

sort of like a self-inking stamper that runs out of ink.

you can still stamp more items... you just need a new stamper!!

so...

what to do...

TURN ON AS MANY DATE AUTO DATE STAMPERS AS YOU WANT!! (although one is probably enough!!)

then, every year or so... depending on how many items you enter...

(remember, you can use the stamper only about 16,000 times, and each time you ENTER an item, (or sub-item [but not a folder], you use up "1" stamp. (if you delete that item, you get that stamp back..).

when you reach a lot of stamps in a particular date stamp folder, simply do this:

<1> Turn off the auto-assignment rule for that folder. (in regular ecco, a rule of "*" (an asterisk) is all you need in a date folder to have a date-stamp added every time an item is created).

<2> Rename that folder something useful, eg. "Date Stamp" to "Date Stamp - 2007".

<3> Create a NEW folder called "Date Stamp", and give that folder the auto-assignment rule of "*".

if relevant  

<4> Add the new date stamp to places you want to see the current date stamp!

again...

DATE folders ***NEVER*** use of "FILE LIMITS".... *** EVER ***!!!!

items and sub items can use up 'file limits' --> you can only have about 65,000 total items and sub-items. (but each item/sub can have thousands of lines).

TEXT FOLDERS can use up file limites --> you can only have about 60,000 (often, only about 40 or 50 thousand, depending on other factors), of Text Folders containing any value--> and that value could be 1 character or 32,000!! [the 'file limit' is the same-- based on count of text folders used.

Again: notice that a text folder which contains "14" counts against the file limit, but a NUMBER FOLDER which contains "141414" does not!!

(smart use of number folders and pull-downs... greatly expands the 'file limits' in practical terms...)

For the new user, notice that with dates you can filter based on "TODAY" (as the value to match, be less than, or be greater than) and, you can filter on "TODAY+43" and "TODAY-33" (ie. + and - but NOTE: NO SPACES!!!!)

« Last Edit: 11/20/07 at 15:20:09 by Admin »  

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: HOW DO I FIX MY OVERFILLED AUTO-DATA FOLDER ??!!
Reply #1 - 11/20/07 at 14:41:12

Tips:

Remember,  to "TURN OFF"  the auto-assignment of the 'full' date folder, means opening the "Folder Pane",  right clicking on the folder (with too many items!), selecting "Auto Assign Rules" and DELETING any and all rules you find there (most likely a single, one character rule "*").

Also be sure (and this is CRITICAL),  that when you create the new date folder and the auto-assign rule that you DO NOT (when prompted) have ecco search your database to auto assign... (ie. to auto assign on existing items)

if you did... since the folder matches EVERY item.. it would immediately fill up and you would have exactly the same issue as with the old folder !

So, DO NOT (when prompted)  APPLY the new folder's new auto assignment rule!! Ie. be sure that you DO NOT SAY YES to auto searching by ecco when you create the new auto assign rule.

ENJOY!   Cheesy

« Last Edit: 09/01/12 at 19:29:44 by Admin »  

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: HOW DO I FIX MY OVERFILLED AUTO-DATE FOLDER ??!!
Reply #2 - 10/31/08 at 10:16:34

John Smith writes Quote:
To turn off auto-dating try the following.

In the folder window (...at the left side of the ECCO program window. To
view the folder window, from the View menu, choose Folder Window)

look for "Date Stamp" folder, right-click on it
and from the context menu choose "Auto Assign Rules..." there could
be a rule containing an *. Delete it.

It could be that you have no "Date Stamp" folder, the rule * could be
in other folder or could not exist. If there is no * rule you do not have
auto-dating.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
dguidry
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 05/05/09 at 10:03:10

I have 5 auto assign date stamp folders, each named in succession and created using the above techniques: Date Stamp, Date Stamp1, Date Stamp2, ....etc.  I should probably rename them something like DS08252001, or something like that to reflect the date on which it was created so I can dredge data accordingly.

Email   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #4 - 05/05/09 at 11:16:43

Quote from dguidry on 05/05/09 at 10:03:10:
I have 5 auto assign date stamp folders, each named in succession and created using the above techniques: Date Stamp, Date Stamp1, Date Stamp2, ....etc. I should probably rename them something like DS08252001, or something like that to reflect the date on which it was created so I can dredge data accordingly.

remember to turn off the auto-assignment to those folders...

Also, for those seeking to diagnose folder excess..  if the slang extensions is beyond comprehension or does not provide the info (for example if there are shared folder names),   the EM Advanced Diagnostics Toolkit will figure out folder issues and warn you specifically about over-filled folders.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print