Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
03/29/24 at 03:59:30
News: The Yahoo New Yahoo! Ecco_Pro forum was ended by Yahoo's end of board support... New group is at groups.io
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MagicView - update or upgrade (Popularity: 18876 )
Lexje
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post MagicView - update or upgrade
06/22/14 at 08:45:10

Hi,

I'm trying to get back on the road again with EccoPro. It's been a couple of years, so for a starter it takes a while to get back in the saddle.  
I registered and purchased MagicView back in 2009.
Frankly I can't even figure out how it works anymore...  
What is / would be the main workflow?
- clip stuff from (any) browser -> into Magic View -> then into Ecco or??
- clip stuff directly from (any) browser -> into Ecco??

Is there any demonstration video available? Youtube did not show much..

I also seem to have seen some example.eco file containing MagicView example(s), is the correct? If yes, where can I find these files?

What is the upgrading policy regarding MagicView?
I've downloaded a more recent version, but it shows as a trial...

Thanks for helping out!

Erwin

Email   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: MagicView - update or upgrade
Reply #1 - 07/12/14 at 18:54:05

1. Workflow for adding clips.

Working with an Ecco file.

Inside ecco, select an item.

you can edit/add MV page to that item using winkey +  "?"
 or right click ">" button in MV pane,  
 or control+shift+L from within MV
 or MV menu File > Load > at active item.

you don't have to do that unless you want to add or edit THAT ITEM.

from browser (for example)  winkey+F12 brings up MV menu
you can add selection to active MV page,  or as new MV item,  
or if selection is URL,  add url's page as new item in ecco,  
or make selection ecco item text & full page as MV page with  'Selection's Page > to new item'.

winkey + Shift + E  is shortcut for copy selection as new MV item in ecco.  (win+Shift+G for saving graphics locally) ... etc....

from within MV pane F1 is help...  

basic concepts include:

MagicView's default set-up is to 'thumbtack' page views.  That is,  the page view will not update when you change focus of the ecco outline item,  unless you expressly update (for example Winkey + ?).   To activate the quickview mode,   you can press Winkey + Q.

If you want to to keep word specific formatting such as page footers, etc. you'll need to stick with attaching the document (dragging the .doc file into the Item Text box),  and if desired,  then pressing Alt+G to 'ground' the file-- include it within the file's .web folder (instead of working with the file from where ever it was dragged, which also works).

MagicView provides control over specifically how, what, and where selections can be clipped.   The array of options can seem overwhelming at first.   It becomes much more clear once the basic concepts are understood.  

> FIRST ASPECT -- WHERE TO CLIP TO <

MagicView can accept clips which:

(1) Replace the existing viewpage's content,  

(2) Append to the existing viewpage  or  

(3) Create an entirely new viewpage  (either at the current ecco item selection or into a special webclip folder).  

> SECOND ASPECT -- WHAT TO CLIP <

MagicView can clip based on:  

(A) clipping the selection which is currently marked,  

(B) clipping the marked selection as the clip title and clipping the entire webpage where the marked text is found,  or

(C) clipping the webpage found at the address in the currently selected text.

> THIRD ASPECT -- TO SAVE COPIES OF GRAPHICS OR NOT <

Additionally you can clip:  

(i) without making local copies of clipped graphics or  

(ii) with saved copies of any graphics in the clipped page/selection.    

Becoming familiar with these three aspects and distinct options will significantly clarify the clipping menu (Winkey + F12  or Universal Right-Left Click [activated from right click on MagicView tray icon]).

There are also some specialty 'ecco text' clips providing additional powers,  the ability to clip from the screen to MagicView or to Ecco directly,  and the ability to 'capture' a webpage clip in order to 'manually' paste it into ecco.   If you have a grasp of the three aspects above,  and walk through the clip menu,   you will quickly master it.

(* THE FOURTH DIMENSION -- PHYSICAL STORAGE OPTIONS *)

Clips (and parts of them) can be stored either inside of the .eco file, or in an external .web folder stored in the same location as the .eco file:  

(i) Clips including graphics can be stored internally inside Ecco as "MHT" format.  One big downside with "MHT format clips is the loss of most MV editing capabilities.  

(ii) Modestly sized files, PDFs, graphics, "MHT" format clips, etc., work seamlessly when stored internally in Ecco,  and automatically update with synced ecco's (although they do use up extra memory space and pointers).  As the size of internally stored files gets larger,  loading time significantly increases.  Large (even huge) files, graphics, etc., work seamlessly from the .web folder and can be synced with other users on the network via network folder sync tools.  

(iii) For most users storing pages, graphics and files (such as PDF, MHT, DjVu, EML, ZIP, etc.) in the .web folder is the best option.  Pages and files can thus be globally searched by desktop search programs,  and the .eco file size is kept very small.   However, if you want to search for content inside of Ecco,  storing pages (although not graphics, and files) inside of ecco is necessary).  

(iv) Viewpages (stored internally or externally) and internally stored graphics, MHT, and all other files can be seamlessly and securely encrypted with MagicView AES encryption.  Externally stored graphics, files, MHT pages, etc., can be encrypted by encrypting the files using Windows file encryption on files individually or by encrypting the entire .web directory with Windows folder encryption.   Note that while MagicView can very securely encrypt your data inside of the .eco file, viewing the stored materials is not particularly secure and can be 'spied on' if there is active spyware software grabbing screen shots, tracking disk sector changes, etc.  

2. Upgrades

Personal registration upgrades limited to data loss bug fixes... not relevant for your situation.

Business registration includes series updates.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #2 - 07/12/14 at 18:58:39

Workflow example for email:

In relevant ecco file, location where new items desired to be stored is selected within the outline.

The MV dropbox is showing (View > Dropbox)

from email programs (such as TheBat) that allow dragging emails as .eml files,  you can simple drag an email to the MV dropbox and it is inserted into ecco.   "Shift + Alt" when dropping will convert the email to a MV Page format (instead of email format object within MV).    

or...

drag an attachment from email to MV dropbox and hold down "Shift".  Adds the attachment as MV object into ecco outline.

or..

drag attachment (such as .pdf file) into MV dropbox and hold down "control" key.  Will be prompted for directory and naming options.  Will then copy file to directory and add link to file to ecco file via MV.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 07/12/14 at 19:10:59

Alternate workflows:

From browser select text.

Use hotkey Winkey+Control+E  

then find location in Ecco you want to insert,  and again use hotkey Winkey+Control+E  (or G to save local copy of graphics, if any)

inserts MV page that was clipped into Ecco.

------------------------------------------------------

See Winkey+F12 menu both outside ecco and (different menu) inside ecco

if option activated (Control F1 for options panel in MV)

Right button down & hold then left button down (while right button is down)  and release both buttons,  will bring up winkey+F12 menu from mouse.

in other words,  do not need to touch keyboard to select & clip.  can activate MV menus just from mouse.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #4 - 07/12/14 at 19:12:31

Note:  midway down this post is an index to examples and tutorials:

http://forums.eccoMAGIC.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1218986971

also note:  dropbox display,  right+left click menu option,  and new item from screen clip available also from right click on MV tray icon.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
dm
EccoMagic Apprentice

ecco saves lives.

Reply #5 - 01/12/15 at 03:34:27

Have you played with linking ecco items to Evernote or OneNote?

dm
  IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #6 - 01/25/15 at 18:46:45

Quote from dm on 01/12/15 at 03:34:27:
Have you played with linking ecco items to Evernote or OneNote?

As a part of MV or generally ?

note:

with ecco's native launch feature,  can link an ecco folder to anything that can be linked to.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print