Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
04/20/24 at 07:18:37
News: "Breathtaking" (Check out the new MagicView release at EccoTools.com)
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do I get a new country-name to appear in the 'Show Holidays For' box? (Popularity: 9323 )
RonC
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post How do I get a new country-name to appear in the 'Show Holidays For' box?
12/18/12 at 07:34:45

I need the calendar to show holidays for a country that is not now listed.  

Is there any better way to do it than this:  pick a country's name, that I will never use, and do a mass-delete of all its holidays.  Then enter the desired country's holidays, under this country's name.  

It would be nice if I could find where the country's name is stored, so I could edit that to reflect the holidays that were stored there.  Then the menu would read correctly.  

Is there a better way to do this, or is this the only way?

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: How do I get a new country-name to appear in the 'Show Holidays For' box?
Reply #1 - 12/20/12 at 17:45:11

You can manually add holidays (day by day).

Calendar > Options > Holidays > Custom Holidays > New

Then, you can add them in bulk to other systems via the registry values in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NETMANAGE\Ecco\Custom Holidays

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
RonC
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: How do I get a new country-name to appear in the 'Show Holidays For' box?
Reply #2 - 12/21/12 at 18:20:38

Thanks!  So then to summarize the whole procedure, with all the steps visible and in sequence, are you saying the best way to do what I asked is ...
Quote from RonC on 12/18/12 at 07:34:45:
(1) ... pick a country's name, that I will never use ...
(2) ... do a mass-delete of all its holidays.
(3) ... enter the desired country's holidays, under this country's name.  
(4) This will populate the Registry key you named.
(5) Should there be another system [EccoPRO installation) in use, the key generated in (4) may be copied and transferred (in my case, it's just a single user, with a single installation).  

Is there anything that could be offered on the final part of the question?  And that was ...  
Quote:
It would be nice if I could find where the country's name is stored, so I could edit that to reflect the holidays that were stored there.  Then the menu would read correctly.  

Even if it's hard-coded into the .exe (is it possible that would have been done?) there are ways to modify that.  Although, I would be surprised if a list of country names should have been inflexibly embedded in this way ... surely the original programmers wouldn't have expected the program was never going to be used anywhere else??
? So, are the steps #1-5 correct, and is there any further information on that last question?

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 12/22/12 at 15:45:01

do not think I mentioned any of those things:
(1) ... pick a country's name, that I will never use ...
(2) ... do a mass-delete of all its holidays.
(3) ... enter the desired country's holidays, under this country's name.  

No need to delete anything.

Custom holidays do not go 'under' anything,  they are 'stand alone'.

you can just enter them manually-- ecco allows for that.

note: you can also enter holidays as normal calendar events,  and simply make them as multi-day appointment for one day (e.g., from 12-12-2012 to 12-12-2012) .  The only functional difference is with 'move item's dates' not recognizing the holiday as a non-business day...  but unlikely you use that feature anyhow...

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
RonC
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #4 - 12/22/12 at 19:34:30

Quote from Admin on 12/22/12 at 15:45:01:
No need to delete anything.
Custom holidays do not go 'under' anything,  they are 'stand alone'.
you can just enter them manually-- ecco allows for that.

Oh, I see -- I thought "Custom" meant you could "Customize" one of the eleven choices.  But that's not so, as you say.  

So then -- one is supposed to leave the holiday selector-box at None, and customize under this category?  So, this works just by adding "Custom" holidays -- that don't really belong to any of the country-categories.  

I think I should be reading the manual, specifically looking for the section on Custom Holidays!  I trust a complete manual is available for download, somewhere on the ECCOmagic site.  

It's somewhat more complicated that I thought!  So, as usual, reading the manual is always a good first step.  I trust there's a link to this, somewhere on this site?  

Quote:
note: you can also enter holidays as normal calendar events,  and simply make them as multi-day appointment for one day (e.g., from 12-12-2012 to 12-12-2012) .  The only functional difference is with 'move item's dates' not recognizing the holiday as a non-business day...  but unlikely you use that feature anyhow...

Should I do that, is Easter (and the holidays that move with it) calculated correctly?

Thanks very much! Until I hear other wise, I'll assume entering the 'movable feasts' is covered in the documentation.  

« Last Edit: 12/23/12 at 09:16:54 by RonC »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print