Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
03/29/24 at 08:23:45
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alarm File Not Working Going from Win 7 64 bit back to XP (Popularity: 8745 )
rcdavis
Contributing  Member

This is a great site
to take Ecco into
the Future!

Show the link to this post Alarm File Not Working Going from Win 7 64 bit back to XP
03/25/11 at 08:17:51

I finally got my Alarm file and the CFX file to go in the right place when going from XP to Win 7 64 bit.  I just had to send my computer in for repairs, and have to go back to an old XP notebook, and now I can't get the Alarm file to work.  What is the trick?

I put the Alarm file in a User/Application Data/Local/VirtualStore/Windows folder, same path as in Windows 7, and that didn't work.  I tried putting the Alarm file in the Windows directory where it used to go, and also tried putting it in the Programs/Ecco directory, and none of that worked.  I tried making the Alarms both Active, and Not Active, which sometimes results in duplication, but I got nothing.

I come humbly before this magnificent group, again, asking for your help and wisdom.  Those alarms sure do come in handy.

I am ready to be embarrassed.  What is the answer?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.  And by the way, every time I come back to this site, I am a bit more amazed at the depth, and how extensive so many cool things are available to members.  I think it would be easy to spend a week going through all the cool stuff, and not come near to getting through it all.  This membership, and the administrator, are far way ahead of any other group.  I have a hunch that Ecco is going to be around for a long time.  There is so much knowledge and expertise here, it blows me away.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: Alarm File Not Working Going from Win 7 64 bit back to XP
Reply #1 - 03/25/11 at 11:13:43

on XP located in default \Windows directory.

try this:

http://forums.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1230585897

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
rcdavis
Contributing  Member

This is a great site
to take Ecco into
the Future!

Show the link to this post Re: Alarm File Not Working Going from Win 7 64 bit back to XP
Reply #2 - 03/26/11 at 08:21:21

Thank you for your suggestion.  Actually, the CFX file has worked just fine.  The only problem was with the Alarm file.

I do think that some of your brilliance might have rubbed off on me.  I double checked that the file wasn't marked "Read Only," which it wasn't.  Thought I would double check permissions, and voila!  Even though I am given administrative privilages as a user, for some reason, I didn't have those priviliges here, I could not write to file.  Why my permissions I get changed, I don't understand.  I changed the privileges to write, and now it works fine.

At least a finally understand where the CFX and the ALM files go both in Win 7, and know what to do when I go back to XP.  That is a bit of a relief in itself.

Thank you for your help.  Sorry I wasn't just a bit quicker in double checking what I 'knew" was OK.  It is the ghost of Win 7.  Perhaps Bill Gates can correct that, and a few other things, and come out with Windows 8!  We gotta keep churning out more versions of Windows, or else ol' Bill can't give all the money away to other countries, so he can be adored as  the greatest person in the world.

Now if he had just gotten Windows right the third time, by spending another measly $5 billion, and then shut the company down except for a skeleton staff, I might really think he is a truly generous person, perhaps the greatest person in the world.  Learning how to milk the American people with his monopoly, so he can give our money away to the rest of the world, isn't the mark of greatness.  Oops!  Off topic!  You might have to transfer this topic to Rants! LOL

THANKS!

Keep us the great work!  Ecco lives!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print