Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
04/19/24 at 01:04:11
News: Welcome to the eccoMAGIC forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
can I force numberIT to start with a particular number? (Popularity: 5334 )
vicente
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post can I force numberIT to start with a particular number?
01/29/11 at 13:23:23

Is there a way to tell numberIT to start numbering from some number other than 1?
This would be a very useful feature to me. I will explain why below.

I am trying to number all items (at all levels in the hierarchy) shown in a view so that I can preserve the sequence of sub-items when I export.
The sequencing information is not easily available from ecco (there is no visible folder that I can export). However I can create such a folder with numberIT.

My file is too large and I have to break it up before I can do anything with it. BTW, it is also too large for eccoMagic to copy (with folder values) and paste into a new file.

My plan to work around this limitation is to do the export in two steps.

I delete half of the items and then use numberIT to number each remaining item sequentially as viewed. This will allow me to preserve the order in the view (which ecco also preserves but which I lose when I export to CSV or to anything other than ecco) , and then I  export.

I then go back to my original file  and delete the other half of the items and use numberIT to assign sequence numbers and then export to a second file.

I would like the numbering to be unique across the two files that contain my exported items since my  intent was to number all items in my original large file.  
To accomplish that I need to be able to specify the starting number for numberIT to use. I don't want numberIT to start from 1 when I use it the second time in my process.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: can I force numberIT to start with a particular number?
Reply #1 - 01/29/11 at 16:43:22

the default EM# folder will only hold about 10k items.

once you've numbered on set,  you can rename the em# folder, eg., set1_em#

this way,  each number set will be discreet.

also,  

you can change em# to a date folder (when it is empty)

and change system date,  eg., back 10 years.

numberit will then start from current system date setting, and increment daily for each item.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
vicente
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: can I force numberIT to start with a particular number?
Reply #2 - 01/29/11 at 17:59:36

Your suggestion to use two different folders to hold the sequence numbers will work for me! Thanks.
Your suggestion to use a date folder (instead of number folder)  so I can specify the starting date is interesting. I think that is a suitable alternative. I will see which one is easier to handle.
Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print