Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
03/29/24 at 01:21:55
News: "Breathtaking" (Check out the new MagicView release at EccoTools.com)
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
  Rating
Rate:
Rating:
Rating: 0.00
Votes: 0

need to explicitly sequence items in Daily Journal folder (Popularity: 8483 )
vicente
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post need to explicitly sequence items in Daily Journal folder
01/11/11 at 21:21:31

I would like to create a folder of type number,  called sequence_nbr,  that explicitly preserves the order in which I entered items (and sub-items) into folder Daily Journal.  I have many items in Daily Journal and therefore have to find a method for entering an auto-incrementing sequence number for every item in the folder sequnce_nbr.  

I know EccoPro knows the order I am interested in since the order is maintained in the view of the notepad that has Daily Journal, but I don't see any function that allows me to retrieve that information so I can use it to assign a sequence number. Is there such a function?  

If there is no such function, then I will need to create a script that will sequence through all the items in Daily Journal in "view" order and assign a sequence number. The problem I have with this alternate method is that I don't know how to step through all the items in Daily Journal in "view" order.

I woulld appreciate any insight or recommendation for achieving what I am after. Thanks.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: need to explicitly sequence items in Daily Journal folder
Reply #1 - 01/13/11 at 09:02:20

the EM NumberIt tool (eccotools.com board) will sequence items in order of screen.

to track sequence of items as you enter,

simple script will work.

you can assign a file while variable to current count,

add 1,  save the var,  and use the value as folder value.

eg., get/set_file_var(name, value)

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
vicente
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: need to explicitly sequence items in Daily Journal folder
Reply #2 - 01/15/11 at 19:25:54

Thanks! It appears from the description that NumberIt does exactly what I need. I will try it.

IP Logged
vicente
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 01/15/11 at 20:02:13

I tried NumberIT and it does exactly what I need, but only for top-level items.
I need sub-items to be similarly numbered.

By the way, I noticed an unexpected behavior when I used the feature to number items in specific folders. I specified a folder that was of Date type before I realized that NumberIT does not handle that type of folder. All the items in that folder were deleted!  

In any case if NumberIT could also number sub-items then it is exactly what I need.

You described the script that I would need to accomplish what I am after.  

Quote:
you can assign a file while variable to current count,

add 1,  save the var,  and use the value as folder value.

eg., get/set_file_var(name, value)

What I do not know how to do is step through all the items in my view in the order that they are present in the view. There must be a hidden folder in EccoPro that has this information. You apparently use that information in your NumberIT tool.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #4 - 01/26/11 at 18:43:07

quick response:

yes, dates should number from current date onward,  not delete items..!!

(try latest version 2.20B).

also you can select all items in view and number those (selected items)  will number TLI and selected sub items.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print