Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
03/28/24 at 06:39:37
News: If you have a scroll wheel, TRY EM SCROLL WHEELS. It's NICE!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ecco Uses Excessive CPU, Not Backing Up Per Specified Time Peri (Popularity: 4719 )
rcdavis
Contributing  Member

This is a great site
to take Ecco into
the Future!

Show the link to this post Ecco Uses Excessive CPU, Not Backing Up Per Specified Time Peri
12/17/10 at 01:55:49

I am bringing up a bug that, for me, has existed in Ecco for at least 8-10 years, and it still persists.  Strangely, I don't think that I have ever seen anything written about this, and I thought it time to bring up the subject, see how wide spread it is, and how people have coped with it.

Years ago in Windows 2000, I noticed my computer almost locking up, and would go into Task Manager, and see that the problem was Ecco.  I learned rather quickly that if I hit the "Save" button, that the CPU would go down to normal.  When Windows XP came out, the same thing happened, although instead of locking up the computer, it simply took over a lot of resources.  Again, all I had to do was hit the "Save" button, and CPU resources would go down to normal.  The CPU problem was intermittent, not anything constant.  I also discovered that if I were to have done something like highlighted text, to do a copy and paste, that the CPU issue was much more likely to occur.  Similarly, if I had left Ecco while using it in some way, or have just stopped using Ecco, that the high CPU was much more likely to occur.  I hadn't noticed highlighting text in other applications to have caused high CPU.

When the new version of Ecco came out, I was very hopeful that the CPU issue would go away, but strangely, it has not, although it is much better.  Whereas in idling mode my computer may be using 2% of the computer resources, that number was now perhaps 12% resources.  I am using the new Intel i7 quadcore processor, so 12% of this processor represents a lot of activity for something like highlighting text.  My work-around of simply going back to Ecco and clicking "Save" still works, or I simply close Ecco if I am doing a CPU intensive application, or group of applications.  

But now I wonder if someone has found a better fix, so that there is no increased CPU utilization.  I have also found that in "Options," one can save a backup copy of Ecco every 1 minute to every 3 hours.  I choose to backup every 5 minutes, but over the last 7-10 years at least, but they have never occurred at 5 minute intervals, but much greater.  For example, my '5 minute' backups, at 8:57pm, were done at:
Main.eco  6:31 pm
Main.bk1   11:34am
Main.bk2   4:14 am
Main.bk3   :3:39am - Two days ago!

If I click on "Save" three times right now and wait 30 minutes, the times of save for the backups are, as of 8:36pm:
Main.eco   8:06pm
Main.bk1   8:06pm
Main.bk2    8:06pm
Main.bk3   3:39am - Two days ago!
(Note: It seems that each time you click "Save," the Save affects each successive backup, except for the last one)  

At 11:05pm, with items highlighted in Ecco, 0% CPU, backed up at the following times:
Main.eco   9:23pm
Main.bk1   8:40pm
Main.bk2   8:06pm
Main.bk3   3:39  - Two days ago

So, in this case, there was no increase in CPU usage, but the above shows how backups are not done every 5 minutes.

Has anyone else experienced high/higher CPU usage intermittently in Ecco, and experienced inconsistency in backups being created at the specified time periods?
And if so, what have been the best work-arounds that have worked for you?

I guess the world is going pretty good when these are the types of bugs that you report in Ecco.  They are minor, but should be cleaned up.

THANKS!

Richard

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: Ecco Uses Excessive CPU, Not Backing Up Per Specified Time Peri
Reply #1 - 12/20/10 at 15:12:07

Possible you're leaving cursor in phonbook field ?

(dos based,  thus bypsses windows idle and burns cycles.)

the latest slang extension versions should solve this.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print