Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
04/19/24 at 06:32:00
News: If you outline, checkout the new outlineZOOM extension. Amazing stuff to instantly bring your ideas into focus.
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CAN'T MAKE NEW ALARMS! (Popularity: 5700 )
rcdavis
Contributing  Member

This is a great site
to take Ecco into
the Future!

Show the link to this post CAN'T MAKE NEW ALARMS!
11/05/10 at 03:49:56

I switched over to the EccoMagic program that works in Windows 7 64 bit.  All has been going well, until I just discovered that it is no longer possible to make new alarms or ticklers!  This also includes alarms that have already been created, but which I want to assign to a new date.  For example, I have a 7 day daily advance reminder for important appointments that require preparation.  The tiny alarm icon shows on the page that I assign it to, but no alarms appear on the previous 7 days, even though the Edit screen shows that all seven prior days are selected.  I can also assign a 30 day tickler, but no tickler appears as a symbol next to the assigned date, nor does it appear in the tickler section.  When I go to ALARMS, CREATE NEW, the Create New field is grayed out, so that no new alarms can be created.

Where exactly is the .ALM file supposed to be located?  When I installed the program, I think I put a copy in each directory, just to be sure that it would be recognized.  I have no idea where the CFX, ALM, or the ETC files are supposed to be located.  I have been wondering what  am I supposed to do if I go back to a 'Windows XP computer, exactly where I pull those files from in Windows 7 to transfer to XP.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.  Ecco without an alarm file is a bit handicapped.  Understanding how those three critical files are handled would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so very much in advance.

Richard Davis

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: CAN'T MAKE NEW ALARMS!
Reply #1 - 11/05/10 at 04:50:17

well,  

1. Create New Alarm tool only from non-calendar notepad.  NOT from calendar.

2. if that not issue, could be permissions problem.

do you run ecco as admin ?

also,  tool in EM forum to locate the cfx file on win7 systems.  alm file in same location.  check permissions.

also,

extension allows 'usb mode' which should also resolve issue by placing .alm file in ecco program directory.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
rcdavis
Contributing  Member

This is a great site
to take Ecco into
the Future!

Show the link to this post Re: CAN'T MAKE NEW ALARMS!
Reply #2 - 12/16/10 at 19:18:52

I solved this problem by moving my ALM alarm  file, which was formerly in the Windows file of Windows XP,  to a different EccoPro folder in the Windows (x86) directory, it was that simple.  

As further explanation, when I installed the new Ecco program, that is designed to work in the new Windows 7 64 bit OS, I inadvertently installed it from the download location (my general downloaded files), instead of moving the file to my Program Files (x86) folder and installing it there, a big no-no.  One must be very careful to install the program exactly as instructed, and not as you do any other program, since we are adapting an older program to work in a new OS, and special precautions are necessary.  

BTW, I solved my botched install by first moving the downloaded file to the EccoPro folder that I created in the Program Files (x86) folder.  That was unsuccessful, so I created another EccoPro folder nested inside the first EccoPro folder, and installed from there, and voila, that let the program work.  I simply had to move the ALM alarms file (along with the CFX file) from the one EccoPro folder to the other, and it works just fine.  

My thanks to the fine people who made this program possible.  It was an absolute lifesaver, as my entire life has been on Ecco for almost 15 years, when it was first named Editor's Choice by PC Magazine for Personal Information Managers.  I have not found a better PIM, and the fact that Ecco continues for so long after it was abandoned by NetManage, speaks volumes about the quality of the program.  

There are some really fine, super intelligent, and helpful persons in the Ecco community, when you consider that they have adapted Ecco to the new Windows OS before some developers of large, established companies. I can't say thank you enough.   I hope to use Ecco the rest of my life.

Thanks to all!

Richard

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print