Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
05/04/24 at 18:46:33
News: Try magicHijack!, Hoist, Move, & Gather, is simply amazing!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Diagnostics... questions, ideas, maybe it can help (Popularity: 2638 )
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Diagnostics... questions, ideas, maybe it can help
05/09/09 at 12:42:14

A member asks: Quote:
Quote from aMember on 05/09/09 at 12:32:22:
Hi,
It's time for me to dig in again on EccoPro. Friends need help... I have a new Treo and want to do multiuser Treo sync... and want to develop more robust networked file recovery using the new tools and insights that have emerged in the last year or two.

A few questions/hints for you on your diagnostic tool:

From my experience in recovering from networked Ecco file damage over the years, I have found some subtle things that are *not* easily seen:

1) The print Home/Work address flag is not available through DDE, and is not shared in the network edition. It is created and stored per-User. Thus, unless great care is taken, it is lost when regenerating a shared folder.

2) Private items likewise are not managed via DDE, and are stored per-user. This requires great care in salvaging a networked file.

3) I'm sure you know this already: text attributes are lost under all recover scenarios I've found so far.

Despite the above, I *have* successfully recovered from damaged network ecco files... several times over the years.

I'm interested whether your tool is of any help in this. Hoping it will either save me time, or be something I can recommend to others.

(I provide my high-expertise assistance at no charge to a set of non-profit executives around the world... just a way I can help.)

Thanks for listening, and any ideas you may have!

The EM ADT can help with recovery of orphans,  excessive items in any particular folder,  'ghost items',  making a copy of all rules in a file, and internal pointer corruption.

You can make public all folders, filters and forms in a networked file,  and thus re-create from any 'slave' that connects/syncs with the master.

The EM ADT can help internally 'organize' the structure of a file before recovery (as a part of the ADT recovery process) but doubt will impact on color attributes, etc.   Unless file is very corrupted,   attributes, etc. should normally be retained.

how much data you lose depends on what problem the file has.

If the ADT shows you a solution besides recovery (eg.,  reducing # of items assigned to a particular folder, etc.)  then yes,  will save you much effort.

« Last Edit: 08/25/09 at 06:36:41 by Admin »  

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print