Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
04/23/24 at 07:27:13
News: The Yahoo New Yahoo! Ecco_Pro forum was ended by Yahoo's end of board support... New group is at groups.io
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making EccoMagic Hotkeys Customizable (Popularity: 5337 )
SeattleUser
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Making EccoMagic Hotkeys Customizable
02/08/09 at 14:21:12

I have just begun to download and try the impressive wealth of Ecco utilities and add-ons that the creator of EccoMagic and of the EccoMagic Forums has made available (as summarized at http://forums.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1193816898).

Though I am too new to the EccoMagic programs to have much to say about their features and functionality, I have a strong opinion on a suggested setup feature:  I think that in at least two ways, making it possible to edit the hotkey assignments used by the various EccoMagic programs would be an extremely helpful enhancement.  First, being able to edit the EccoMagic hotkey assignments would make it possible to avoid any conflicts with hotkey assignments made other programs.  This issue is becoming increasingly important because the various EccoMagic programs use so many hotkeys and because there is such a large and growing number of other programs that use hotkeys (including global hotkeys as well as local hotkeys).

A second way in which the ability to edit the hotkey assignments would be helpful is convenience and personal preference.  For example, in EccoMagic Classic (see http://forums.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1166633545 and www.eccomagic.com), I would strongly prefer to be able to use the Win+Ctrl+V hotkey combination for the "paste copy from a web page" function (which I expect to use quite a bit but which EccoMagic Classic currently ties to the much less convenient Win+Ctrl+Shift+V hotkey combination) rather than for the "insert as an 'unscrunched' block" function (which I don't expect ever to use much if at all).

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: Making EccoMagic Hotkeys Customizable
Reply #1 - 02/09/09 at 13:33:41

Quote from SeattleUser on 02/08/09 at 14:21:12:
being able to edit the EccoMagic hotkey assignments would make it possible to avoid any conflicts with hotkey assignments made other programs. This issue is becoming increasingly important because the various EccoMagic programs use so many hotkeys and because there is such a large and growing number of other programs that use hotkeys (including global hotkeys as well as local hotkeys).

A second way in which the ability to edit the hotkey assignments would be helpful is convenience and personal preference.

Yes,  this is something have thought much about.

As much as possible the tools are designed to work on a WIDE variety of platforms and circumstances.  Often times the user will not have the ability to write to disk, nor to the 'registry'.    Even testing to do so may 'violate' the allowed program constraints and cause system to terminate running.  For this reason as much as possible (and is not always possible),  tools are designed not to write to disk nor registry.

Also as much as possible,  try to code directly the hook used for hotkey.   Allows a much wider range of machines to take advantage of tool.

Easy enough to include a hotkey selection option,  but not so easy to do so in same version,  ie. that will run on same (very wide) range of machines.   You should be able to use most tools on Windows 95 to Windows 7,  on systems with NO registry privileges and without any static memory storage.    

100% agree that freely assignable hotkeys would be nice.

for now,

when registering any tool,   can request whatever hotkey assignments desired,

and get a personalized version to fit your personal needs/desires.

« Last Edit: 02/09/09 at 17:00:41 by Admin »  

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print