Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
03/29/24 at 08:43:15
News: Welcome to the eccoMAGIC forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sync problem when deleting items from a folder (Popularity: 14833 )
JohnSmith
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Sync problem when deleting items from a folder
10/17/08 at 09:21:40

Just have noticed that when I delete an item from one of the folders (i.e. the Items is not completely deleted from the file) this deletion is not transferred into sync copy.

i.e. if I create an item in folder A, then add it to folder B, and then delete it from folder A, then in the sync copy this item will be in both folders A and B.

EccoExt 4.0.0.1 on XP

Yours sincerely,
JS

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: Sync problem when deleting items from a folder
Reply #1 - 10/17/08 at 10:20:07

this is a serious issue.   FANTASTIC bug detection.

non-slang acts differently (ie. correctly) ?

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
albertschepers
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Reply #2 - 10/17/08 at 15:46:05

This may be related to the problem of non syncing of items from a palm to ecco when eccoext is running.  My work around is to sync only with the ecco and not eccoext, exit ecco and then load eccoext.

Albert Schepers
Email WWW   IP Logged
JohnSmith
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 10/18/08 at 12:07:19

@Admin

Yes, non-slang works correctly. However, what matters is where the deletion is made. If the deletion is made in EccoExt it will not sync, if the deletion is made in non-slang, it will sync. I suspect that changes are registered for subsequent sync at the time they are made.

(Further, if the item is dragged and dropped, e.g. if you keep two folders in the same notepad and just move the item from one to another, it syncs)

@albertschepers
Problem with Palm sync may be related, however I believe that Palm sync works differently and use different algorithm (hidden system folders, etc.)

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #4 - 10/22/08 at 04:05:22

we probably need to test this & define issue more...

here's what I did (all with slang ext. running):

1) created new file from EM Safe default ect.

2) shared the file on network.

3) opened shared on 2 nodes.

4) Changed & deleted folders both by pressing del on folder (multi-choice)  and by using folder pane 'remove folder value' .

Worked great.

5) Created sync copy of the file.

6) made change to folder & deleted a folder.

7) synced.

Worked great.

so,

at least by this testing no problem shows up.

thoughts:

A>  is your file corrupted ?   [have you tested w/ EM-ADT ?]

B>  is your file 'safe' for Y2k.    You can use the freeware DDE sync diagnosis tool (eccotools.com board).  to see.

C>  do NETWORKED files have the same problem as synced ?

D> does problem exist for all folder types (or, eg.,  multi's work fine but text types don't).

E> i had no slang rules...   if you dupe my test do you get same result.    If you copy & kill all rules,  same error occur ??  (ie. could it be relevant to one or any, or a specific rule ?)

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
albertschepers
Contributing  Member

I Love Ecco!

Reply #5 - 10/22/08 at 15:36:41

I think that I am finally understanding the problem and I have not had that experience.  I am assuming that the sync copy is a network copy and not a palm or PDA.  I have several files that I work with and I have never experienced this problem whether I use eccoext or ecco.

The problem that I mentioned earlier is that changes made to the palm do not sync to the computer file when eccoext is used.  That work around is to load ecco, sync the files, exit ecco, and load eccoext.

I suspect that the sync problem is a different poblem related to file corruption.  Might I suggest that the file be tested in addition to the tests suggested above.

Albert

Albert Schepers
Email WWW   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #6 - 10/22/08 at 23:44:25

Quote from albertschepers on 10/22/08 at 15:36:41:
I think that I am finally understanding the problem and I have not had that experience. I am assuming that the sync copy is a network copy and not a palm or PDA. I have several files that I work with and I have never experienced this problem whether I use eccoext or ecco.

The problem that I mentioned earlier is that changes made to the palm do not sync to the computer file when eccoext is used. That work around is to load ecco, sync the files, exit ecco, and load eccoext.

I suspect that the sync problem is a different poblem related to file corruption. Might I suggest that the file be tested in addition to the tests suggested above.

Albert

There is a known issue with current ext. dde not accepting multiple item folder updates.  This may relate to the sync issue.   Sync issue as in Palm sync.

as to file sync/delete issue,

if JS is reporting it,   worth the effort to figure out exactly what is going on.

May be a certain folder type,  or rule situation, etc.  that is base of trouble,

(or could be corruption, etc.).

obviously, trick is to dig down and figure out what's up.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
JohnSmith
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #7 - 10/23/08 at 08:39:07

A>  is your file corrupted ?   [have you tested w/ EM-ADT ?]

I don't have EM-ADT to test (can you send me a fee copy?), however the bug exists in a new file created from new default.ect.

B>  is your file 'safe' for Y2k.    You can use the freeware DDE sync diagnosis tool (eccotools.com board).  to see.

Do not know how to use DDE sync diagnosis (I downloaded DDE_change_test.exe but how can I use it?)

C>  do NETWORKED files have the same problem as synced ?

I do not use networked files, just synchronized copies to sync between work and home

D> does problem exist for all folder types (or, eg.,  multi's work fine but text types don't).

I checked it with CheckMark folders only (besides what do you mean by multi's folder?)

E> i had no slang rules...   if you dupe my test do you get same result.    If you copy & kill all rules,  same error occur ??  (ie. could it be relevant to one or any, or a specific rule ?) [/quote]

The bug exist in a new  created from default.etc (no slang rules added)

I attach <testsync1.zip>, it contains a file <testsync1.eco> and its sync copy <testsync1_home.eco> together with .ECG and .ECB files. You can extract all files into a folder and open both <testsync1.eco> and its sync copy <testsync1_home.eco> and observe how changes sync or not sync.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #8 - 10/23/08 at 10:33:29

Quote from JohnSmith on 10/23/08 at 08:39:07:
the bug exists in a new file created from new default.ect.

not likely corruption issue

send me a PM if you'd like a helpware vers.  
Quote:

Do not know how to use DDE sync diagnosis (I downloaded DDE_change_test.exe but how can I use it?)

just run it and watch it.   It reports changes (item & folder ID)  that ecco reports.   You can see when (every 10 secs at least) an item reports a change and when not.

if hundreds of items reported = not using slang and using post y2k created file)

Quote:

I do not use networked files, just synchronized copies to sync between work and home

there is a tutorial on the EM boards (look & sure you will find)  on how to use 'network' type sync on flash etc.  between home & work machines.  it eliminates the need to manually 'sync' each time.  you just need to plug in the 'master' file  and auto syncs on both ends.

Quote:

I checked it with CheckMark folders only (besides what do you mean by multi's folder?)

pulldown.

Quote:

I attach <testsync1.zip>, it contains a file <testsync1.eco> and its sync copy <testsync1_home.eco> together with .ECG and .ECB files. You can extract all files into a folder and open both <testsync1.eco> and its sync copy <testsync1_home.eco> and observe how changes sync or not sync.

ok.. will check out.

Edited:
Checked it out and your files work fine for me.   Deleted folder B for item then exported sync.  Loaded master and item was in folder A and B.   Imported sync and item instantly deleted from folder B.

ps: tested files for corruption and they are clean.  Ie. not corrupted.

my tests with ext. ver. 4.00.1

Can you list ... step by step, *exactly* what you are doing to delete folder value that does not sync ?

for ex.  I didn't try deleting item from folder physically with delete key, etc.

« Last Edit: 10/23/08 at 16:28:30 by Admin »  

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
JohnSmith
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #9 - 10/24/08 at 02:26:31

Thank you for your help and patience.

Quote:

Can you list ... step by step, *exactly* what you are doing to delete folder value that does not sync ?

for ex.  I didn't try deleting item from folder physically with delete key, etc.

I create Item1 in A folder, add this Item1 to B folder (by drag and drop Item1 on B folder in tree view)
now Item1 is present in both folders A and B, then
I select Item1 in folder A and press Delete button on the keyboard, the dialogues appears "Delete Items" with two options, I choose "From folder: "A" option.
That's it, now Item1 is present in folder B only. Whereas in the sync copy Item1 is present in both folders A and B.

I must apologize I cannot reproduce the above bug with testsync1.eco (I would have sworn I sow it yesterday, but...).  It seems that the malfunction exists only in my working file. Sorry for the confusion, and for false alarm.

[size=10][/size]

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print