Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
04/19/24 at 10:22:45
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing latent .ect corruption (Popularity: 3564 )
JMerrill
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Removing latent .ect corruption
06/12/08 at 16:54:38

I've read the story about how the latent corruption was found (and fixed).  I'm a programmer geek so I loved reading that the result was a triumph.

Now I'm thinking that my Ecco file that has my life (since 199x) in it, and all the .eco files that I downloaded from this forum (and the old forum) that pre-date the posting of the corruption fix, are all likely to be corrupted.

Is there anything that can be done to fix the latent corruption that so many files have?  It should be possible to build something that moves _everything_ from an existing Ecco file into a new file -- shouldn't it?  (I think you can build something to move all items and folders using the Export, but I don't know how you'd move your folder rules and so on.)

Thanks for any info.

IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: Removing latent .ect corruption
Reply #1 - 06/13/08 at 07:57:40

1. corruption is big issue,  but could be that files built on default.ect PRIOR to the latest release may be free of corruption.  [untested].

2. files created WITHOUT the old template (eg. shift + new)  are also without the corruption (altought those created with internal clock set after 2000 have their own issues-- but not corruption ones!).

3. in just the right circumstances loading a corrupt file can cause a non-corrupt file also open in ecco to become corrupted!  

4. the Advanced Diagnosis Toolkit will test & tell you if corrupted  & help restore if possible.

5. The ecco API does not give us access formatting info (bold, underline, etc.).   Item by item move thus less than satisfying.   You can however copy whole notebooks with formatting.  Trick is setting up the columns correctly.   On the 'to do' board somewhere is tool designed to do this.    as you mention,  folder rules are still a problem,  although the EM ADT does allow you to copy all of your folder rules for (currently)  manual re-input.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print