Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
04/19/24 at 05:35:22
News: If you have a scroll wheel, TRY EM SCROLL WHEELS. It's NICE!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems with Close/Minimize to tray (Popularity: 13409 )
Alec_Burgess
EccoMagic Apprentice

We all Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Problems with Close/Minimize to tray
05/24/08 at 18:15:07

It "seems" that Ecco-Tools-Options-Files-"autosave all files every n min" (i have it set to 1) is broken. Can anyone confirm/deny (using latest eccoext 3.6.9.3).

I also have "Autosave on close" set.

If I use the eccoext option and run it again it gives a popup dialong: Ecco running Terminate: [Yes/No]. If I respond [No] nothing happens. If I respond [Yes] Ecco is terminate (w/o saving the open file) existing instance is terminated and a new instance opens.

This would normally not be a problem - just reply [No] if its restarted in error.
Problem is - if Explorer crashes (which can happen fairly frequently depending on what kind of bizarre testing I'm doing with other programs) the Ecco icon does not get restored to the tray. As a result its impossible to get at the running ecco and manually save files.

Saving grace .... I've just discovered that Ecco seems to write a file ~~MAUnnnn.TMP in tthe same folder as the Ecco file at the instant it gets terminated which seems to be up-to-date with file at the time it was terminated. Not terrible now that I know to look for it and remember that I had some changes which probably hadn't been saved ... just rename the current file away and rename the MAUnnnn file to it.

I'd be happy if ... responding "NO" would refresh the (possibly missing) tray icon and/or responding "YES" would force saving of open files before termination and restart of Ecco.

Regards ... Alec
Email   IP Logged
TheVisionThing
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Re: Problems with Close/Minimize to tray
Reply #1 - 05/29/08 at 13:38:51

Can you recreate this behavior in the latest EccoExt v4?  I think I had the same problem but haven't seen it so far in v4, which, admittedly, I've just installed.

Regards,
Wayne C.

IP Logged
Alec_Burgess
EccoMagic Apprentice

We all Love Ecco!

Reply #2 - 05/29/08 at 16:59:24

Quote from TheVisionThing on 05/29/08 at 13:38:51:
Can you recreate this behavior in the latest EccoExt v4? I think I had the same problem but haven't seen it so far in v4, which, admittedly, I've just installed.

I updated  from 3.6.2.9 (I'd been lazy) to 3.6.3.9 on 2008/05/24. Somehow I missed seeing that eccoext 4.0.0.1 was already there  embarrassed .
Upon upgrading to it today, I've verified that the 1-min file update parameter IS now being honored. GOOD!
There is still a minor "problem" that can be verified as follows:

Make a minor change to an ecco file
    Immediately invoke eccoext and when asked "Terminate" Yes/No reply YES
    Look where you had just made the change. It will be gone.

I'm not worried about this now that I've confirmed that  the 1-min (or whatever you set it to) update is being used. I'll update the bug forum. I thought I had tested thoroughly enough to confirm this was not working in 3.6.3.9 but it isn't there now in 4.0.0.1.

Regards ... Alec
Email   IP Logged
TheVisionThing
EccoMagic Apprentice

I Love Ecco!

Reply #3 - 05/29/08 at 19:01:20

I'm still not clear about the bug you're reporting.  Here's the test I ran.

• Opened up Ecco using Eccoext.exe.
  • Made a small change.
  • Closed down Eccoext.exe
  • Re-opened Eccoext.exe
  • The change I made was still there.

Regards,
Wayne C.

IP Logged
Alec_Burgess
EccoMagic Apprentice

We all Love Ecco!

Reply #4 - 05/29/08 at 19:25:09

Quote from TheVisionThing on 05/29/08 at 19:01:20:
I'm still not clear about the bug you're reporting. Here's the test I ran.

• Opened up Ecco using Eccoext.exe.
  • Made a small change.
  • Closed down Eccoext.exe
  • Re-opened Eccoext.exe
  • The change I made was still there.

Regards,
Wayne C.

The problem occurs when you are running eccoext (and hence) ecco minimized to tray. In that state it has no presence on the task bar.

If you restart Eccoext from a shortcut (say in your QuickLaunch or on your desktop) it pops up the dialog saying Ecco is running (which it is) and do you want to Terminate now [Yes] / [Cancel]. Normally you just smack your head and click [Cancel] then click the tray icon and away you go ...

Problem comes if Windows Explorer crashes (and you restrart it probably from Task Manger). When this happens depending on how the programs were coded, some icons get put back in the tray, other's don't. Ecco is one of the one's that doesn't.

There is (AFAICT) NO WAY to wake it up - ie. display its GUI,. Its not in Alt+TAB list, you can't see it TaskManager - Applications and though you can see it TaskManager - Processes you can't send it any input.

The ONLY thing you can do is terminate it (either from TaskManager or the popup raised by eccoext) and then rerun the program.

When the bug which caused Ecco NOT to automatically save after specified interval (eg. 1 min) still existed this was very serious (depending on how you had entered before the last save). Its less so now but still it would be nice if eccoext could "wake up" the tray icon if gone when its run when ecco.exe is already running.

so your test s/b  
Quote:
type something
without closing ecco, run eccoext from shortcut again

does this explain the problem?

Regards ... Alec
Email   IP Logged
Alec_Burgess
EccoMagic Apprentice

We all Love Ecco!

Reply #5 - 02/18/09 at 21:48:21

Quote from Alec_Burgess on 05/24/08 at 18:15:07:

<snip>
This would normally not be a problem - just reply [No] if its restarted in error.
Problem is - if Explorer crashes (which can happen fairly frequently depending on what kind of bizarre testing I'm doing with other programs) the Ecco icon does not get restored to the tray. As a result its impossible to get at the running ecco and manually save files..
<snip>

Note: this part of original problem is still outstanding though less critical now (IMO) since a way to fairly easily prevent data loss is available.

Remaining problem is a way for EccoExt to better handle case when a running ecco is no longer tray resident after an Explorer crash.

Regards ... Alec
Email   IP Logged
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Reply #6 - 02/18/09 at 23:35:39

see the Show Me Slang Tool  ( http://forums.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1235021476 )  should solve issue.

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print