Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
eccoMAGIC Forums
04/18/24 at 18:19:31
News: Welcome to the eccoMAGIC forum.
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hey, why does my sync update file keep growing and GROWING ??! (Popularity: 3910 )
Admin
Administrator

I love Ecco!

Show the link to this post Hey, why does my sync update file keep growing and GROWING ??!
12/03/07 at 16:16:36

--- In ecco_pro@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Anderson" <randerson@...> asked Quote:

> I keep the master Ecco file on my office computer and use a floppy
> disk to transport a sync file back and forth to home.  I notice that
> the file from the replica at home back to the master file is 770 kb in
> size, even if I make little or no changes to the replica.  The master
> to replica sync file is 119 kb or less. Why is the replica-to-master
> file so large, and can I trim it down somehow?
>

aside from non-answers but relevant tangents such as:

1) Email works too!  (ie. you can EMAIL sync back and forth between 'connected' eccos,  either automatically,  or by emailing the sync file and manually pointing ecco to it.  (Note that for some email setups,  like Eudora,  it's important that your inbox does not get over-filled [with thousands of letters]  otherwise Ecco has problems locating the new sync files automatically).

2) USB key or Re-Writable CD or VDV allows much! more space.

The answer is found in the way ecco keeps up with changes... the heart of the ecco sync concept.   Essentially a copy of each and every change made by any of the 'connected' (linked/synced) files is saved, until every other connected file has downloaded/reconciled the changes *AND* reported this fact back to the master file.

Thus...  your sync file will grow and grow and grow if any of the 'linked' files is left out of the periodic 'round robbin' sync loop.

you can DISCONNECT any of the non-used connections via the File > Properties > Connection Status > Review Connections .... just be careful to disconnect the right file(s) !

(you can always 'reconnect' by creating another sync copy from the master... but note you CANNOT reconnect a disconnected file ... only replace it with a new connected one...)

So,  the solution:

1) Disconnect any 'connected' files that really are not used !

2) Make sure to periodically sync *all* of the 'connected' files, and then sync them again (so that the other's not needing past changes is registered).

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print